Chapter 24

I stopped everyone before they could leave the beach and they all looked at me, waiting for me to continue. "We need to work out a plan to help us, so we can get home to our loved ones. I will not allow for anyone else to get sick or even die." Sadness filled my heart again.

"We will have a fire going on the beach twenty-four hours a day, so planes and boats can see the smoke from far. The people who is on guard will manage the fire, so it doesn't get out of hand. We also need to try and get the radio working, in case no one comes in this direction. If we all continue to help each other, we can survive this."

We started talking about who does what and how we can be safe from another storm if it hits. It was decided to store all the food in Jake's hut as no one wanted to sleep in there. The memory of Jake was still to raw on everyone's mind. I kept myself busy, so not to think to much and a week turned into three.
I've lost so much weight from being busy all the time.

It has been just over seven month since the crash and although we have the fire going all the time, no one came for us. Everyday someone would fiddle around with the radio to get it to work, but still no luck.

One morning I woke up and saw that Conner has already left the hut, which was strange, as he always waits for me to get up first. I changed my clothes quickly, thinking that something was wrong and stepped outside to be greeted with lots of cheers and everyone shouting happy birthday. I stand there shocked. How could I forget my own birthday. People started coming forward and congratulated me. Hannah hugged me, then Matt did and I saw the jealousy in Conner's eyes as he stood to one side.

"Come on man, its my turn to hug Maddie," Ben said to Matt and everyone except Conner laughs. Ben gives me a jacket he made from the Buck skin and I loved it so much that I pulled him to me and hugged him. "Enough, can't you see you hugging her to hard you imbecile," Conner says to him. Ben let go and turned to Conner and I just knew he was gonna say something to drive Conner crazy.

"For your information, Maddie was hugging me and she liked it." In the next instance Conner moved forward, so I stop him quickly. "Conner, Ben is only teasing you and I don't need the two of you to get into a fist fight." Ben laughs, then step away so Conner could calm down. "Gosh, you are so whipped man."

Conner steps infront of me awkwardly, while everyone was still watching. "Happy birthday Maddie." Before I could say anything, I was pulled into his arms and he kisses me on my lips. A few seconds later he looks up into my eyes. "I have a few surprises planned for your birthday and I hope you like them." He looked so adorable at that moment, that I nearly stepped forward and kissed him.

He takes out the bracelet I saw before in his bag and gave it to me. I bought you this bracelet with the intention of telling you that I want to have a real marriage, so I'm telling you now that I want you to forgive me for my past mistakes and give me a chance to prove to you how much I care for you."

I didn't say anything, but let him put the bracelet on my arm. He steps back looking slightly disappointed that I didn't say anything. "The next surprise I have for you is this." I see him taking out the radio and turn a button and you could here static. Everyone gasp, so I take it that no one knew about it. "I'm sorry, but its the best I could do for now, so I will work on it until we can come through to someone."

I ran forward and jumped into his arms and hugged him. "Thank you Conner, thank you for doing all of this for me." He smiles broadly at me and said that he have one more surprise for me. "Remember when we were all down by the water and we spoke about the first thing they wanted to eat when they get home." I nod my head at him and I see him looking at Hannah who brought out a plate. On the plate was what looks like a hamburger. I see some of the woman giving a plate to everyone.

The bun was made from rice and on the bun was meat, an egg and even a thick slice of tomato, which he said he found the previous day. I take it from Hanna and took a big bite into it and groaned out. "Oh my word, this is so delicious," I say through mouthfuls. "Conner, you just became the best person in the whole wild world."

"Oh gosh dude, just stop smiling like that or your face might break into pieces," Ben says to him and everyone starts laughing. Conner blush red in his face, so I stepped forward and hugged him. "Don't listen to Ben, he is just jealous."