Part 57

Silence stood between us as the atmosphere got heavier by the second. Laird took a step closer to me and his movement woke me from my stupor. I quickly brought my clothes to me and turned away from him.

'Leave' I spoke, but it came out as a weak squeak which made me cringe. I really didn't want to deal with his heavy mood. It was better to talk when he was in a better mood or less angry. I couldn't wait for too long, but I hoped I could talk to him tomorrow.

The room was still dimmed, telling me that Laird wasn't leaving as I asked.

'Did you hear me? I said leave' I said with more strength in my voice and turned to him.

He let out an animalistic snarl as he came right at me. I was roughly pushed down onto the table behind me, oils and salves flying everywhere. Laird pinned me down with his body, arms holding me glued to him as his face buried into my neck. Growling angrily, I wasn't prepared for him to bite me. Without a warning, his teeth dug into my muscle, making my eyes go wide. My body was thrown into arousal mixed with pain. I groaned as my nails dug into Laird's shoulders, my breathing increasing from the sensations. Laird kept his teeth attached to my shoulder and didn't move. I began to worry, his behaviour weird to me.

'Are you alright?' I quietly asked him, finally calming down from the feelings the bite brought up. Laird stayed quiet and just held me close to him. Not having anything else to do, I wrapped my legs around his torso as my hands went to his hair, slowly playing with his short black hair. I started wondering why Laird was acting like this. Could it be because of my injury? Or was it because I didn't spend the night with him? I didn't know the effect I had on him or me being hurt. Even if I was hurt by him. He was the Alpha and Orna did say that his instincts are always going through the roof.

I don't know how long we were in our intimate position, but after some time he finally retracted his canines out of my poor shoulder. He began lazily lick the wound while still keeping our bodies glued and keeping my naked body warm.

'I was worried' Laird finally spoke, his voice barely a whisper by my ear. I couldn't help, but to raise an eyebrow even if he couldn't see it.

'Really? You throw me like trash into a pile of wood, don't bother to check if you didn't break my spine, you imprison my best friend and leave her to her death and just attacked me. And now you act like you care' my voice turned accusing against my own will.

'I do care' he growled and continued licking my shoulder.

'With your actions as of late, I really start doubting that'

Laird finally pulled away from my shoulder and looked at me dead in the eye.

'I'm not stupid, Lynea, I know what I'm doing'

'So what is your plan?'

'For now to keep your friend locked up and keep an eye on her. I can't keep her free for now'

'What do you mean?' I frowned. Laird looked down at my breast, but I knew he didn't do it because he was aroused, he was thinking.

'I have suspicions' he spoke after a short while and I felt a bad feeling growing inside me.

'What kind of suspicions?' I carefully asked, not liking Laird's lack of explaining.

'My instincts tell me that your friend is somehow involved with the deaths of our people. I want to keep her locked up to see if the killer's patterns change or he does something reckless and exposes himself or some clues' he finally explained. I was looking at him wide eyed, not believing what he just said. Anna involved with the killer? He didn't say she was the killer, but knew him or her?

'Do you have proof?'

Laird blinked at me and frowned.

'I told you, my instincts-'

'I don't have your instincts, so I need proof' I cut him off. To my surprise, he only rose one of his eyebrows.

'One thing you can trust with your life is my instincts or gut feeling as you call it' he calmly spoke and I only frowned. I knew he was telling me the truth, but to believe that Anna was involved in this mess? That was really hard to do.

'For now just get ready for The Festival while I with my best warriors will keep an eye out for the killer'

I decided to listen to him. He didn't have any proof that Anna was involved in this crap and he couldn't execute the person only based on his instincts. Especially if Anna knew the killer. Also, being locked up in jail kept her safe from the killer and maybe his influence will lessen on her. Maybe Anna will change her mind and confess, making everything a lot easier. I decided to shift my attention to different topic for now, since I couldn't do anything.

'When is The Festival again?' To ease the atmosphere between us, I said "The Festival" with more epic voice. It worked and Laird smirked.

'In two days'

'Oh right. Can I skip it?' I continued to joke around to relax us both. Laird only rose his eyebrows and pulled me on my butt.

'No' he replied and took my clean clothes. I pouted and took my clothes from him. I began drying myself off and dressing up, unfazed by Laird's stare.

'Enjoying the view?' I teased him as I wrapped myself with soft, but light deer skin.

'Of course I do' Laird replied with a small mischievous smirk. I couldn't help myself from rolling my eyes, but also smiling.