chapter twenty-five

eli's eyes cut towards me and he shakes his head. and i watch as his eyes dart behind me, towards ira.

but i only pay attention to him for a second, it's impossible to focus on anything while my heart just about bursts as i stare down into the expectant eyes of adonis, smiling up at me with his wide grin.

"okay, buddy. i'm coming." i tell him, taking a step back and jumping in, making sure to get most of the wave on eli.

when i surface, ira has moved to the edge of the pool and is watching us with huge eyes. she doesn't say anything, but she doesn't have to. the look on her face is enough to let me know that she's not okay with any of this.

"i thought today was fun. did you have fun?" i glance over at ira who's been quieter than normal since everyone left.

"yeah, i did. your friends seem great."

"yeah, they are." i nod, grabbing the last of the glasses off the island. "they're good people."

"they seem it." she murmurs, turning and heading into the house.

"seems like you and chanel got on well. maybe we could hang out with them again sometime. you know, like a double date or something."

"she's great." she nods and tosses me a quick glance. "but no double dates."

"single dates only then? that's fine with me." i smack a kiss between her shoulder blades. "i love having you all to myself."

"enough already." she mutters, stepping into the kitchen. i simply smirk at her backside and continue to follow behind her. i take my time, and continue to enjoy my view when she looks at me over her shoulder with a shake of her head.

"you're being creepy again."

"you know i tend to do that." i flash her a smile.

she completely ignores me, as she loads the dirty glasses into the dishwasher and heads towards the doorway.

"well, i've had enough for one day. i'm gonna go bed."

"ira, hold up." i step in front of her and she sighs, looking deflated as ever as i reach out for her. "what's the matter? you've been acting weird ever since–"

"ever since adonis called you daddy?"

"yeah, ever since that."

she looks away. "how am i supposed to act? i don't like it if that's what you need to hear. he shouldn't be calling you that and you shouldn't be letting him."

"baby." i cling onto her arms tighter. "look at me."

i lean down, trying to get her to make eye contact with me, before having to resort to leaning her against the wall and caging her in.

"seriously?" she scoffs, rolling her eyes. "enough of all of this and stop calling me baby." she turns her head away from me as i grasp her body closer. "you think that just because you're bigger than me, you can make me do what you want. i hate that." she states, her arms crossing as she continues to look away.

"fine. don't look at me, then. at least listen to me. i love you, ira. i love adonis too, he's a good kid."

she sighs, making me chuckle. "i'm trying so fucking hard to show you i'm different, that i've changed. why won't you give me another chance?"

"you don't deserve another chance."

"i know i don't. but that's not gonna stop me from spending every day tryna make you see that there is something worthy in me." this makes her eyes snap to mine.