one

It was a sunny afternoon. I could smell lunch cooking. It seems like we have chicken broth for today.

"Come downstairs, it's already time to eat!" My mom said as soon as she opened the door of my room.

"Okay," I nodded.

I immediately went downstairs and joined my parents for lunch.

It's chicken broth. I knew it.

"My daughter, you're turning 11 in a few days. What do you want for your birthday?" My father asked, waiting for my answer.

"Umm... take me to aunt's place?" I replied.

My aunt's place was much different from ours. There are malls but there were only a few. It's just a small province. But what I like about it is that it is a soothing place. The air is fresh, I love the smell of the ocean breeze and especially that infamous garden near aunt's house. There were variety of flowers but I personally liked violets.

"You really like there, huh? Okay, if that's what you want." My mom said. My eyes sparkled as she said that. "But first, we'll go to the mall before leaving. We'll buy you another gift."

"We'll leave already??" My eyes got big. Did they plan this beforehand?

"Yes, Miyu. Pack your things after you finish eating."

"As in today? We'll be leaving today?" I asked again, making sure that it's true.

They both just looked at me, then to each other, and laughed.

"You're so cute." My father said as he pinched my cheeks.

I immediately went upstairs and packed my things. I'm so excited!

🐨

We went to the mall. It was just a few walks away. They asked me what material gift I want. So, I pointed towards the bookstore.

I like the smell of new books. Am I the only one?

They already bought me a book and later, we'll be arriving at auntie's place. I swear this will be my happiest birthday ever!

After we walked around the mall, we went to the train station and got tickets.

In the first few minutes of us being on the train, I allotted my time reading the book they bought for me. But after that, I felt sleepy.

🐨

This is it! I'm really not dreaming. We're already in front of auntie's house!

"Oh my, long time no see!" My aunt said, smiling. "Cutie, wanna go with me to the garden?"

"Yes, yes!" I exclaimed, jumping with excitement.

After a few minutes, we arrived at the garden. I smelled the flowers, so pleasant!

🐨

Finally, it's already my birthday! I sneakily went out to see the garden again.

I leaned over and smelled the flowers.

Huh? Why do I not smell anything?

"Maybe because I just woke up." I thought.

I tried to smell the fresh-baked bread nearby but I smelled nothing.

"What's happening to me?" I asked myself and cried.

Disappointed, I went back home.

"You're early! Where did you go?" Auntie asked.

"To the garden," I replied. "I can't smell anything auntie, what should I do?"

Tears flowed from my eyes. I can't imagine myself being like this.

Scents bring ease to my mind.

"Oh my goodness, I'll ask your uncle. He's a doctor, remember? Everything's gonna be okay." She said as she pat my back.

She called uncle over the phone and asked about it.

After a few minutes, she turned to me and said many things but all I could remember is... I have a disorder called anosmia wherein I loss my ability to detect odor.

I immediately went back to my room. I cried a lot and didn't realize that I fell asleep.