Chapter 41

Bexley's POV

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah." I gulp. "We did"

She gives me a look which makes me feel likes she's staring deep into my soul. It's a lie. Of course it's a lie, but I don't want her to know we're still together.

"Then why were you with him right now?"

"Because..." I pause and try to think of something that doesn't sound too stupid "we were breaking up. I just broke up with him"

"Ah. Wait, are you serious? You actually broke up with him?"

"Yes. I did"

"Aw, honey" she says giving me a hug as if she really gave two shits about the whole thing. "Are you okay?"

I nod, "yes. I mean, it's fine. I think you're right, he's probably not even right for me"

I head to my room and check my phone. There's a notification from Harvey.

Harv
Did she tell you anything?

Bexley
I told her we broke up

Harvey's POV
Honestly, I don't know what to think about that. It makes me glad she did it, because that way, her mom won't be bothering her with that, but at the same time, it's like she's telling me it's actually over. It doesn't feel good.

Harvey
Oh
Good
That's good

Bex
Yeah?

Harv
Yeah
Ttyl gn

Bexley's POV
I don't know what's wrong with what I just did. He sounds mad. He sounds like he's not okay with it. But it's not like I'm telling him we're over. I don't want us to be over, but if my mom knew we're not over, she'd probably try to push me to make our relationship end.

•••

"Hey" He tells me when I get to school. It looks like he's been waiting for me to get here.

"Hi"

"Look, I know I've been acting kind of distant lately... but-"

Kind of? Kind of? He's been acting kind of distant? First, he gets mad at me for caring about my friends' feelings, he pulls away while I kiss him in front of his friends, and he literally gives me one word answers by text. So yeah, I guess he's been acting distant, but not just kind of! It pisses me off to think about him just saying he's being kind of distant. He's being totally distant. And I just say it, "kind of?".

"Uh..."

Harvey's POV
A fight doesn't seem like the most appropriate thing to do right now...

"Okay, fine. I've been very distant. I'm sorry if you've felt like I don't care, but I... care."

"Alright... yeah" she sighs

I don't know why but we don't seem to have that thing we used to have going on before. Like way back, before we even started dating. We seemed to understand each other better. I feel so awkward while talking to her...

Bexley's POV

He's not comfortable talking to me. And I'm not either. I don't really know how to explain it. I simply don't even feel like talking to him...

•••

It's already been a week and things have only gotten worse. Way worse. We never speak. We've been avoiding each other. Believe it or not, I've been spending time with Max when Harvey's not around and with Logan and Hana when Harvey's with Max. I'm not even sure why we're avoiding each other, as if anything truly bad had happened between us.

"So what's up with Harvey and you, huh?" Max asks me

"Nothing..."

"You know I'm not stupid"

"I know, Max. I just really don't know what to tell you... not even I know what's up with this whole thing. I just... really..." I sigh "I don't know what this is anymore... this whole relationship. But don't lie to me, I know he feels the same way. Maybe it's just better if we..."

"Maybe" he answers. Definitely not the response I was going for. I was expecting he'd tell me not to give up on him, not to... "yeah, maybe you should..."

"Hold up, are we really talking about the same thing here?"

"You are thinking about breaking up with him, aren't you?"

"Maybe..."

"You should"

"But I don't want to"

"But you should. Listen, the way you guys have been lately is just stupid. Why even keep this whole thing going if you two keep on ignoring each other, pretending not to be together?Just break up already!". The way he says it honestly makes me feel bad. "Where is this going anyway, Bex? Break up with him. See where things go, maybe they'll end up getting better. Maybe he'll come back to you. Maybe he won't, but who knows? But just get this over with. I can't deal with this anymore. I feel like I'm stuck in between you two and it's annoying the hell out of me."

I don't say anything, and just contemplate my plate of food. He's right. I keep waiting here for things to get fixed on their own when I should already know that's not going to happen. I need to do something. And breaking up with him might actually not be such a big deal considering that the way we are right now, it's just as if we weren't together anymore anyhow.

"Bex?" he asks.

"I think you're right. It's probably for the best"

•••

I go to Harvey and he sort of looks at me right before he starts walking faster away from me. "Harvey" I yell. He turns around and says "yeah?"

"Can we please just talk?"