Darkness 5

Chapter 5

Grand Exhibit

"Ladies and gentleman, I welcome you all to the most awaited exhibit of all time! Let's all give a warm welcome and applause to our phenomenal painter, Elvira Bansada!"

Umalingawngaw ang masigabong palakpakan. The red tinted curtain in the stage opened and a tall sophisticated woman went out with her long slit blue-violet dress. Sopistikada siyang naglakad sa sentro habang may confident na ngiti sa labi.

In murmur, I heard everyone in the hall praising her. Ngayon ko lang siya nakitang ganito talaga kalapit sa tuwing exhibit niya.

I realized, what they're saying about her is true. Masilaw siya. She's like a walking sun, shining and bright. She can tame some darkness out there, through her physical alone, or through her paintings.

She's tall. Her white-milk skin looks natural, adding more literal brightness. Matangos ang ilong niya at tama lamang ang kapal ng labi. Her eyes were brown chocolate and her cheeks are naturally flushed, only covered by her pinkish blush-on. Her long straight hair are in curls, making her more elegant.

She's beautiful and classy. Napakurap ako. She really reminds me... of her. She somehow triggers my bereavement to my deepest friend before.

"Good afternoon." Bigla siyang nagsalita sa mic.

She's smiling cheerfully to the huge crowd in front of her.

"I am also waiting for this occasion to happen and honestly, the mixture of excitement and nervousness is overwhelming. However, seeing you all attending my exhibit today lessen up my tension. I really hoping for the best of this." she said shyly.

Everybody clapped and cheered for her. She smiled.

"Since I was a child, I know painting is my passion. I am passionate for it. Supporters keep asking me how did I come up with these artworks but I think the question should not be how. It's why. Why did I came up with this paintings? Simple because it is... the science of my existence."

Everyone gives her a moment of silent. She continued.

"Sa buhay na ito, mahalagang pairalin ang interest at determinasyon. That's your only foundation of your strength and bravery along the cruel challenges. I experienced a lot of downfall as we all are, and the darkness almost ruined me but I continue running. The moment I saw my shadow, I know I am near. I know there's light somewhere. And I'm glad that I continue, because yes, I found the light... the brightness that lead me here."

Ngumiti siya. It's amazing to see how she said that she's tensional but there's no hint of nervousness on her face. She looks bright and confident.

"Somehow in this life, not all symbol and signs we see are opportunities for betterment. Symbols sometimes are deceiving. Parang sa pagpipinta. Hindi lahat ng simbolong nakikita roon ay ang kahulugan na naiisip mo. Iba ang naiisip ng iba roon, iba rin ang naiisip mo. And it's normal because that's how we decipher things around us. It's the art... and the science of living."

"... Ang arte ng pagpipinta ay hindi kailangang maganda. Hindi kailangang makulay. We just need to make people understand that there's always beauty in the dark, light in the dim, white in the black and elegance in the shadows. We people just have to see the beauty in the sorrow because not all beauty comes from a colorful masterpieces, sparkling lights, or from shining wonders. And that's what I want people to see... in my paintings."

I licked my lower lip and tilted my head. I had found her painting interesting and now... I just found her words interesting, too.

"Noong una, wala akong naging basehan sa pagpipinta. I keep painting and drawing what I think is beautiful to paint. But then, my dearest friend came... and teach me how to be effective. It is to see the other color of the living. Since then, she became my inspiration."