Preface

Tony stands in the rumble of the destroyed square of New York City. The name of the street didn't matter to Tony in the slightest, he couldn't care less if he was on Bleecker or Broadway. He only cared that this was all his fault. “JARVIS, contact clean up crew” Tony sneered at his A.I. “Certainly Mr. Stark” launching up to fly away he isn't thinking about the people he saved, only the people he put in harm's way. He sees their faces and hears their screams. He closes his eyes to make it stop only to realize the screaming isn't in his head, there is someone out there still. “JARVIS locate the sound of the scream immediately” he said. “Yes, Mr.Stark” the A.I. began to scan the chaotic scene of the destroyed buildings and flipped cars. Tony noticed the screams were getting more and more frantic by the moment, “JARVIS FASTER” he said. JARVIS finally reached the source of the noise. A little girl Tony took to be around three years old was crying in a crumbling department store. Tears welled up in Tony's eyes as he stares blankly back at the little girl. “W-where is your mommy” Tony asked trying to keep his composer for the little one. “In there” she says through tears and pointing up towards the caved in roof of the store. Sighing with despair Tony, knowing there is likely no hope for the girls mother, says “JARVIS scan for survivors”, scanning the building for what had seemed like an eternity the A.I. replies “Zero survivors Mr. Stark." Then, heart racing, Tony asked the little one “Where is your dad?”  hoping that there would be a silver lining for the girl. In response the girl gave a quizzical look behind her distraught confusion. Tony understood, she had no father, and now she had nobody. Tony, without a second thought scooped up the newly orphaned girl and held her close “You do now munchkin, JARVIS tell the others to be presentable when I arrive home, they need to meet our little pal.” As the flight home through the skies started to slowly cause the girl to fall asleep in his arms, he thought to himself “Tony what in the hell are you doing?”