Chapter Eight

Sam woke up at noon the next day with her face slightly damp. Remembering what happened last night. She had been extremely rough on her dad. He only ever thinks in her best interest, even if at times it was a little more than over barring. But she would admit, leaving the house without someone with her to go meet someone she had only met once before was wrong regardless of anything else. She put her phone in the pocket of her sweat pants not even bothering to look at it. Wrapping herself in her blanket she called out to the A.I “FRIDAY where is dad?” The A.I immediately answered back “Mr. Stark is in the living room.” Sam took a long breath before marching down stairs. She made it to the living room and could see her dad watching something on the TV. She crossed over into the living room and gave him a hug, stood back then went into her apology. “Hey dad, about last night, that was really immature of me, I shouldn't have ran off, I can't imagine what hell I put you through..” “Language,” Steve interrupted as he made his way down the stairs. Rolling her eyes at the old man she started back up “and all that stuff I said about ruining my life isn't true either I was angry and frustrated and I'm sorry, I love you.” Tony looked over at Sam and motioned for her to come sit down next to him. “You know kid, Natasha is right you do have my attitude,” he said as Sam sat next to him. “I accept your apology and I apologize for not being a little bit more understanding, being stuck in here all day sometimes by yourself can't be fun. I am gonna make it up to you. It's a nice day out, it's a Saturday and I think you should get out of the house.” Sam's eyes got wide as she stuttered to find words to respond. “Let me explain,” Tony started up again. “You can go shopping at the mall downtown IF and only IF you promise to stay with Pepper.” Sam glared back at her father. Of course there was a catch. He couldn't possibly pick anyone more annoying then Pepper for her to be stuck with all day. But she had to take wins where she could. Sam sighed “Fine.” Tony smiled back at Sam “Alright well she will be here in five minutes go get ready, if anyone asks you're Peppers niece, and I will put some extra cash on your card, DO NOT SPEND IT ALL SAMANTHA ROSE, DO YOU HEAR ME?” he called after Sam knowing that she would want to if she could. “Sure dad,” Sam yelled back as she climbed her way back up those stairs to her room. After a quick shower she pulled her bangs back into a small pony tail and left the rest of her hair down. She scanned her closet wondering what to wear. She finally decided on her black tank top dress, and black heels her dad had gotten her when he was in Italy. She walked back down stairs to meet up with Pepper. To her unpleasant surprise Pepper and her dad were kissing when she made it down to the front door. Sam rolled her eyes and said “Excuse me but I am a child, I don't think I should be exposed to such explicit public displays of affection such as the one before me right now.” Having pulled away long before Sam could finish her sentence, Tony looked at her and said “Did I hear something, or was that the sound of a girl who will not be going to the mall if she doesn't stop being smart in two minutes?” Tony couldn't help but laugh, he found himself so funny. Sam rolled her eyes hugged her dad and told him she loved him. The elevator ride was incredibly awkward, but it ended quick enough. They both got in the back of Happy's car and headed to the mall. Sam thought to herself how she was both the luckiest and unluckiest during that car ride. She got to go to the mall but she also was stuck twice in a confined space with Pepper. Sam was so glad once they reached the mall. Pepper had tried her best to get Sam to like her it physically hurt. The whole way to the mall Pepper tried to get Sam to talk about music, and movies she liked or even about her days at Stark tower. Sam reluctantly answered the questions. Once they entered the mall Pepper smiled at Sam and said, “Well where do you want to go first, wanna go get our nails done together?” With a tense tone of voice Sam said “No!” Sam was looking down the hall.  Pepper didn't seem to notice, “Well we could go to that one store… I can't remember what it's called right now but it has lots of t-shirts with the band's you listen to….” Sam had drowned her out because down the hall she could see something odd happening. It appeared that there were people running away from something, but she couldn't decide on what. “You know Pepper I think we should go home,” she said slightly scared. “I know we don't get along all that well, but come on Sam this could be fun” Pepper said to convince Sam. “No Pepper look,” Sam said pointing at the running people. “Oh, you might be right let's….” And out of nowhere there it was. Then they both saw what everyone was running from. Sam wasn't sure but it looked like a man, and he had metal arms attached to his back. He was ripping apart the mall with his extra limbs. He wasn't walking on his feet but was allowing the machine to do it for him. Pepper pulled on Sam but she was frozen in fear, too afraid to move. “Come on Sam lets go,” Sam finally came to her senses after hearing Peppers plea, Sam pulled her feet up from the ground and started to run towards the front door. Sam could tell Pepper was trying to contact her dad to let him know something was happening, he might want to handle it. But the thing just kept running faster and faster and got closer to Sam by the minute. Sam had never been much of a runner and her legs were not long by any means. She could see the door ahead, Pepper was already through it. But then Sam tripped over a fallen mannequin and fell to the floor. Sam realized she didn't have time to move when she saw the giant silver claw head right for her. She closed her eyes and accepted her fate. Her time had come she thought and there was nothing she could do, he was moving too fast. She felt it grab her with the air going through her hair, she could feel the strength he had. When Sam opened her eyes she expected to see some big great ball of white light, much to her surprise she was still alive and in the air. She was being held by a slender figure in a red and blue suit with a spider on his chest. “That was a close one Sam, are you okay?” The young hero said as he shot webs through the air, going away from that monster with the mechanical arms. “I think so," she didn't seem hurt but something else was up, "how did you know my name?” No one knew who she was and he said it so clear, and that voice, she knew that voice! “Uh, Spidey senses,” the spider dude said, quickly setting her on the ground outside of the mall next to Pepper, before going back in to the mall to fight off the crazy octopus guy. Happy saw them running to the car and threw his Cinnabon down finally noticing that something was wrong. Pepper and Sam got into his car and left the parking lot tires smoking and screeching. Pepper was frantically asking Sam if she was okay. Sam tried to assure her that she was but Pepper was spastic as always. While Pepper was freaking out about what happened, Sam pulled out her phone to calm herself down by mindlessly scrolling through news stories on her phone. That's when she noticed she had a text from Peter. "Hey we really need to talk I will see you tomorrow :)" Sam's head was spinning around with questions before she finally understood. That was his voice, she knew it was. Peter was the spider guy. She texted him back, "You already saw me today didn't you Peter?”