Chapter Thirty-Six

As the trio made their way down the streets of Queens, they laughed and talked about all kinds of things. Anyone walking by would think that these kids would have been best friends for years.. “Ms.Warren is killing me with all this physics homework, like I don't understand why mechanics has to be stressed that much. It's not like we are all going to become someone like your dad,” Sam chuckled at Neds comment. “You're right, you'll need a little bit more money first,” Ned and Peter chuckled at her joke. “I hate physics class too,” Peter said remarking on the conversation. “You only hate physics because Flash is in that class,” Ned said back to Peter, who gave him a look indicating that he did not want him to mention Flash. “Flash? That's a real name?” Sam questioned half way laughing. “Well his real name is Eugene, but Flash is his middle name or whatever, so he goes by that instead,” Ned answered, despite Peter nudging his arm for him to stop. “He sounds like a douche!” Sam said very loudly finding the self given name pretentious. Ned shook his head in agreement and said, “Oh he is he, picks on Peter and I a lot, calls us losers.” Peter looked over at Ned with urgency for him to stop speaking. Ned went to say something and immediately stopped seeing Peters face. “Wait, what do you mean this guy picks on you?” Sam said looking over at Peter giving him a stern look. “It's not like he really picks on us...” Peter said trying to downplay it, but Ned being the overly honest guy he was, cut him off. “Dude, he calls you Penis Parker!” Sam frowned, “That's not right Pete, why don't you just go all Spider-Man on him and kick his ass?” Peter looked at her, kind of afraid of what she might think of his response. “Spider-Man isn't a party trick, or even something I can just use against school bullies. It's to help people, and keep them safe. My power comes with a lot of responsibility, I can't just use it willy nilly.” Sam smiled back at Peter. He was perfect, any other person would use powers against someone who was doing them wrong, but Peter had a very clear moral compass. “You're right, it would be unfair anyway, using your powers against someone who doesn't have any. But I still wouldn't take any of his crap either. I want to meet him,” Sam said smiling menacingly. “Trust me when I say you don't, it's not that he is completely evil or anything like that, he's mostly just annoying. Not the kind of guy you would like to be around,” Peter said offering Sam a sincere look. Sam just nodded her head. “Of course you might met him at prom anyway,” Ned said, making Sam blush and her eyes go large. “Nah, I’m not going to prom,” Peter said, brushing the idea away, and in turn making Sam sad. “Well why not? You can take Sam and I could uh….wear my hat,” Ned said to Peter. “I just don't like the idea of going to school on the weekend, and then be surrounded by people who don't really like me, to listen to music I don't like. Plus I don't know how to dance it sounds terrible,” Peter said using a very clear ranting voice. “Well it sounds fun to me,” Sam said with her voice low. Peter realized that Sam's reaction meant that she kind of wanted to go. He wasn't completely happy with the idea of going to a dance, but Sam seemed to really want to go and was upset about something else. He made up his mind as they approached Mr. Delmars deli, he would take Sam to prom to make her happy, he just needed to figure out a good way to ask her. “Well, here she is!” Peter exclaimed indicating the deli building. “Best sandwiches in Queens.” Sam giggled, finding Peter cute when he was passionate about things he liked. The three of them made their way into the small convenience store where Peter was greeted, friendly, by a larger Italian guy standing behind the counter. “Aye Mr. Parker, a number five?” Peter smiled his charming smile. “You like turkey right?" Peter turned to Sam, asking her the question. Sam smiled and nodded her head. “Actually Mr. Delmar that will be two number fives with pickles, smashed down, and whatever Ned wants.” Mr. Delmar repeated back the order to the cook in the back who was making the sandwiches. Turning around he inquired about Sam, “Ah Parker, who's the lady?” Mr. Delmar said indicating Sam. “Ciao bella,” Mr. Delmar said politely looking at Sam. “Ciao,” Sam said smiling back. “Oh yeah, this is Sam, Sam this is THE Mr. Delmar," Peter said. “Good to know Peter has someone to keep him in line,” Mr. Delmar said looking between Peter and Sam. “Does everyone just see the pretty girl, and forget that I, Ned Leeds, exists,” Ned said to everyone's amusement. “No Mr. Leeds no one could forget you,” Mr. Delmar said smiling to the young man as he handed the group a bag with their sandwiches inside. “Thanks Mr. Delmar!” Peter said before leading the group out of the store and back on to the streets. They made their way over to the Queens City Park to eat their sandwiches. They ate quietly, people watching and finally someone talked. “This has got to be the best turkey melt I have ever had,” Sam said taking the last bite of the sandwich. “The chicken melt is better, but sure.” Ned said having also finished his. “I go to Mr. Delmars when I am out patrolling the city, and after school, and when May's at work, I am more than addicted,” Peter said balling up their garbage and putting it all in the same bag. “Though, I'm sure you'll have better food to look forward to in Italy this summer,” Ned said looking up at Sam. Sam didn't know what took over her as she reached for a gummy worm out of the jumbo bag Peter had purchased from Mr. Delmars. “I didn't think talking about your Italy trip would hurt your feelings...I-Im sorry Sam, are you okay?” Ned said alerting Peter to a sobbing Sam. “Hey hey hey,” Peter said putting his arm around Sam. “I'm fine I...” Sam tried to choke out her words but was interrupted by Ned who also placed a arm around Sam to offer friendly support to her. “No, you're obviously not,” Peter nodded his head agreeing with Ned. “Yeah Sammy, what's going on?” Peter asked concerned. Sam shook her head as if to say that she didn't want to tell them. But Peter removed his arm from around her and instead reached down to grab her hand. “Whatever it is Sam I can help you, WE can help you.” Sam sighed, wiping her tears and looked up to see her loving boyfriend and her new friend offering her comforting smiles. She let her deep breath out and let out  a weak, “Everything is just so crazy right now.” And from there she began to tell them her secret, of how she wasn't really Samantha Stark.