Chapter Thirty-Five

Sam tried not to sob while she rode the elevator down to the ground floor. She just wanted Tony to understand where she was coming from, and he couldn't even do that for her. Once the elevator doors opened, she hoped off and headed straight for the doors of Stark Tower and left. Happy was outside to meet her and despite him typically being cheery when met with Sams face he could not smile looking at her today, knowing what she had said to Tony. Happy simply nodded his head stone cold and opened the door not saying a word to her. Sam noted the way that Happy was acting and assumed it had been the same reason that Steve did not leave her breakfast. Was everyone punishing her over this? Clearly Tony was in the wrong. He took everything away from a small child who didn't know any better, and failed to tell her the truth until it was far too late. She was distracted from her thoughts when she noticed Happy putting the privacy wall up. Sam rolled her eyes, put her earbuds in, and shuffled her music. Sam couldn't decide if she was finding every song in her playlist skippable because it reminded her of the situation, or just because the majority of her favorite songs fell under the “emo” category, making them inherently sad anyway. After a few moments of not being able to find anything to listen to she just ripped her earbuds out anyway and stared out the window.  She admired the way the city always looked beautiful, as if it was the first time you were seeing it over and over again. Though maybe that was just the way Sam felt as some parts of the city were brand new to her. Sam smiled as she felt the car stop outside of the tiny apartment complex. She could not wait to see the only people right now that she trusted and liked. Happy made his way around to Sams door and opened it, “I will be back when your dad wants me to come pick you up, and not a moment later.” His tone was sharp like a knife, but Sam couldn't care less, she looked straight passed him and made her way up to the third floor where Peter’s home was. She was nervous, because the last time she was there she did not make the greatest first impression. She left in such a hurry and without any explanation she was sure that Aunt May would not be as kind as she had been the first time they met. But as she swung the door open she was greeted with the same excitement and strong gripped hug as before. “You are not allowed to be a stranger any longer, do you understand me Samantha?” May said with a slight giggle behind her words. Sam just smiled and shook her head in agreement. Sam loved the way that May smiled about everything, the way she never frowned or seemed bothered. “Now the boys are in Peter's room, playing some game where you play soccer with cars, but I am sure Peter will gladly do something else instead if you asked him to,” May said to Sam, smiling her big carefree smile. Sam said “Okay,” slightly laughing and made her way to the back room. Sure enough, when she opened the door, the two boys were on the bottom level of Peter's bunk bed, their eyes glued on the TV screen.  Sam stood quietly in the doorway for a while as she watched to see how long it would take them to notice that she had been standing there. When Peter finally turned to look at her he had the biggest smile on his face. He immediately paused the game without warning Ned and got up to hug her. “Sammy! We've missed you!” He said pulling away, noticing that her smile was not as bright and genuine as usual. “Are you alright?” he questioned looking into her eyes. Sam knew that Peter would know she was lying, but hoped that he would also realize it wasn't something she wanted to talk about right now. “I-I well, I just looked at your score and it made me emotional,” she joked, nudging Peters arm. “Yeah well, when you play against a pro like me that's expected,” Ned said rising from the bunk bed to fist bump Sam. Sam laughed, and then chatted with Ned for a while as Peter stood by, watching the way Sam was acting. She was laughing and joking and still managing to be the sarcastic person she always was, yet she didn't seem all put together. Peter could tell she was not just sad but deeply hurt. But who was he to push the matter. He tuned back into the conversation to hear Ned and Sam talking about "The Shining". “No way you got my boy Peter, a grade A chicken, to watch a horror movie,” Ned exclaimed, looking between Peter and Sam. “Hey now,” Peter said, starting to defend himself from Ned's comment. "I sure did.,” Sam said, cutting over Peter and laughing through her words. Ned laughed back seeing Peter slightly roll his eyes in a comedic way. “Oh, you have to tell me about the suit Sam,” Ned's voice trailed as he saw Sam's frown. “All I meant was that Peter told me you got one for your birthday, and that it was like your dads, I was just wondering about it,” Ned said nervously trying to lighten the situation. This spark of negative emotion did not go unnoticed by Peter, who also asked, “Yeah Stark, where's your necklace, aren't you supposed to have it on at all times?” Sam thought about what to say next, she didn't want give away that she was upset and frustrated with her dad, to the point that she gave the suit back. “It's getting repairs, I had a few rough landings and it just needed to be looked at,” Sam said, relieved that Peter and Ned both just nodded their heads in agreement with her words. “So anyway instead of playing this um interesting game,” Sam said sarcastically indicating the Rocket League loading screen. “I was thinking we could play a board game or watch a movie or something,” Sam said trailing off at the end of her words. “We could watch Ghostbusters?” Sam smiled at Peters suggestion but didn't really feel like that movie was something she could handle at the moment, given everything that was going on. “I just watched it the other night,” Sam said, playing off that she didn't want to watch the movie. “Well have you ate?” Peter asked sweetly. “Actually, no I haven't,” Sam said smiling back. “You know I'm still here right?” Ned questioned as to not feel like a forgotten third wheel. “Yes of course buddy, but Sam has never had a sandwich from Mr. Delmar before, and I think as her new best friend and awesome boyfriend...” Sam erupted into laughter hearing Peter speak. “We should get her one and walk around Queens for a bit.” Ned nodded his head smiling in agreement. Sam turned and smiled at Peter who smiled back at her. He didn't know what was going on, but he was going to try his hardest to cheer her up.