Chapter Forty-Six

Sam picked the folder up and then put it back down. She told herself it was because she didn't have time to read it, or that she couldn't risk her makeup running. She looked at herself in the mirror one last time before hearing FRIDAY come back over in her room, “Peter is here Ms. Stark.” Sam instantly became nervous. “Thank you FRIDAY,” Sam said softly, before grabbing her white purse, slipping on her white heels and walking down to the living room. She felt as though she was floating down the stairs, she was so nervous. But when she met Peter’s eyes everything changed. Peter had been standing with one arm resting on the staircase and was talking with Tony and Pepper, but as Sam made her way down he turned to greet her. His eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open in awe. “Wow,” Peter managed to stutter out, examining the way she looked. Tony nudged him on the arm, as if to tell him that he had been staring for far to long. Peter blushed and then looked into Sam's eyes as she made it to the last step. “Wow yourself Pete,” Sam said, trying not to appear nervous. She looked back at her boyfriend, dressed to the nines in a perfectly fit black suit, and a pink tie to match her dress. “How did you find the exact color?” Sam asked with excitement in her voice. “Pepper sent me a very close up picture of the dress, so I could only see the color. Then I had May help me,” Peter said, smiling up at Sams beautiful sparkling golden brown eyes. “Stay right there,” Peter said, lifting his camera up from the bottom step, to take a picture of Samantha standing on the stairs. “If you want, I could take some pictures of you guys together before you go.” Peter tried to protest against Peppers request, but before he had a chance Pepper started to grab for his camera. “Um, ok sure” Peter said nervously. “Oh, before I forget,” Peter said, running towards the table in the living room. “I have your corsage,” Peter said, taking the pink colored rose on a pearl band, out of the box. “I know yellow is your favorite, but Pink matched your dress so...” Sam kissed Peter on his cheek quickly, interrupting Peter. “It’s beautiful.” Peter smiled up at Sam, and Sam back at Peter. Pepper was gushing behind the camera, “And so are all of these pictures.” Sam made a noise that came from a place of sheer embarrassment. “Now, Sam stand with Peter on the stairs, put your hand on his shoulder and...” Pepper kept giving them instructions for what seemed like an hour to Sam and Peter, in reality is was only thirty minutes. “Okay, I think we have enough pictures,” Sam said, trying to inch her way out of the living room, dragging Peter by the hand. “Hold on, I need one with you guys!” Pepper said, passing the camera off to a quiet and stiff Tony. “Alright, we're ready,” Pepper said, finding her place in between Peter and Sam. “Okay, now just one of the girls,” Tony said, after taking the first picture. Sam watched as Peter slipped out of the way of the picture and stood beside Tony. She thought she may have seen Tony pass something off to him, but pushed the thought away. “Okay, now are we done?” Sam asked almost whining. “What about you and your dad?” Peter said innocently. Sam hadn't told Peter that things had gotten worse between her and Tony, she was afraid of Peter possibly thinking she was a bad person for how she was reacting. “I think he might have to go get ready for his trip, you don't want to be late...” Sam said, trying not to sound rude. But Peter insisted, “I am sure your dad has time for at least a few pictures.” He looked to Tony having finished his sentence. “He's right Samantha, plus how many times will your homeschooled daughter get to go to prom with THE Spider-Man,” Tony said, walking over to Sam with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. “That's the spirit...I think,” Peter said, picking up his camera to take the picture. After taking one of Sam and Tony together, Peter jumped in and had Pepper take the picture of all three of them. “Alright, just me and Mr. Stark,” Peter said, making Pepper laugh, and she took the picture. “Wait okay, one more” Tony said, motioning the four of them to stand together. “FRIDAY, activate camera and take family pictures.” Sam rolled her eyes but still forced a smile out for the picture. After all, who wouldn't smile standing next to a boy like Peter. “Alright it's really time for us to get going,” Sam said, making her way towards the elevator. “Alright well, have fun but not too much fun, talking to you Parker!” Tony yelled after them. Peter turned around, having started to walk away to look at Tony. “Oh come on,” Sam exclaimed turning around to get Peter. “Just a joke, not really though,” Tony said. Sam sighed and turned back to the elevator. Peter was still looking in Tony's direction, and right before he turned around he watched Tony mouth "Stay safe" to him, and give him a little head nod. Peter of course knew what he was referring to and nodded back, careful not to let Samantha see. After getting down to the main floor and exiting out of the elevator, Peter and Sam made their way outside to Happy. To Sams surprise, Happy was driving the limo instead of the car. “This is awesome,” Peter said, taking a good look at the limo before getting in. As great as this was Peter felt uneasy. Sitting beside Sam on the way to prom should have made Peter happy. Elevated even. But Peter knew what was really going on. Sam had no idea that he and Tony had been talking everyday since they found out Oc was still aloof, and were hiding every piece of information from Sam. The worst part was the threat that Tony received from Oc the night before, that stated: "He would strike in the heart in less than twenty four hours." Peter's mind had been consumed about this ever since he found out, and it's all he could think about now during the car ride, despite knowing he should be having a great time with his beautiful girlfriend. Even when Happy parked the car outside of Midtown High School, Peter didn't move. Instead he stayed still and fiddle with Sams necklace with Tony had slipped in his pocket in case something should go wrong. Peter already thought that dances were dangerous do to the fact that he couldn't dance, but now they may become deadly to him.