T W E N T Y - S I X

~ Chapter 26 |Tuesday, July 2nd ~

"HOW DID YOU GUYS SLEEP last night?" Mrs. Sterling asked.

We were walking behind her and Mr. Sterling, after breakfast, on a trail to their favorite fishing spot. I looked over at Kabelo who was looking elsewhere.

"Uh, we slept good," I answered.

Mrs. Sterling smirked briefly. "Good."

"You two better keep up! Someone could jump out of the bushes any moment to murder you," Mr. Sterling informed.

"Wait what?" I asked.

Mr. and Mrs. Sterling laughed and Kabelo just shook his head at me. "You are so dumb. My dad was just joking."

I started to chuckle awkwardly. "I knew that. I so knew th-"

"You didn't know that."

I sighed. "I didn't"

I made Kabelo laugh.

"We're almost there so just hang tight you two! If you want we can sing to pass time and take the attention away from the pain," Mrs. Sterling said.

"Good idea," Mr. Sterling said.

Kabelo groaned and I snickered. I wondered what they were about to sing and if they were going to force Kabelo to join in. Mr. and Mrs. Sterling went back and forth about trying to think of a song that everyone would know.

"Bloom by Troye Sivan! I heard it on the radio one time and I think that's a perfect song to sing!" Mrs. Sterling exclaimed.

"That song is about sex. Specifically, about losing his virginity so maybe not that one."

Mrs. Sterling sighed and then took a long drink of her water. Her eyes widen with excitement. "I got it!" She spoke between her and her husband and all I could hear was chuckling.

"Alright. Sounds good to me," he said.

"And a 1, and a 2 and a 1,2,3! The wheels on the bus go round and round! Round and Round! Round and Round!"

"Oh god, no!" Kabelo shouted

His parents continued singing the, "Wheels on the Bus," and Kabelo was hating every second of it. Mrs. Sterling looked at me and winked and I knew that she wanted me to help torture Kabelo. I gave the thumbs up because I was all in.

I waited for the next go around and then I started to sing directly towards Kabelo who was covering his ears.

"Kabelo, you have to sing along!" Mrs. Sterling exclaimed.

He snatched his hands away from his ears. "And if I do would you guys stop?"

She just smiled and nodded. It took him a while before he started but when he did, he was dry and lacking enthusiasm.

"You could do better than that! Am I right, Alvin?" Mr. Sterling asked.

Kabelo narrowed his eyes at me and without words, he was threatening to kill me but maybe I wanted to be killed. "You are absolutely correct, Mr. Sterling."

Kabelo stopped singing to clench his jaw. He then took a moment to collect himself before he exploded with the loudest wheels on the bus verse one could ever produce. To say the least, we were all taken aback by the sudden volume.

Once we finished singing, everyone, but Kabelo, clapped.

"I hate that damn song so much and that's why they sang it." He punched me. "I can't believe you partook in such nonsense. You're officially my enemy. Which means that I lost my only ally at this point. I might as well drown myself in the lake so the fishes could eat me and have sex with my body."