N I N E

~ Chapter 9 ~

"IGNORE THIS BIG ASS STAIN ON MY SHIRT," I shouted as I held open the door to the stock room.

The stock team looked at me and greeted me. James was all the way in the back helping with lifting boxes but as soon as he seen me he almost dropped the box on his partner. I just shook my head and snickered as I made my way to the break room. As soon as I punched in the code to open the door, James caught it and came in with me.

"Hey, what's up yo?"

"Oh you know." I stopped and turned to him with a big ass smile on my face.

"I take it that you got another date?"

"Nope." I popped my p. "I'm just happy because I'm about to become 200 dollar richer!"

"What?"

"Bro, I think I just met Ashley's future husband."

"Wait, seriously?"

"Naw, I was just saying that just because. Of course I'm serious, bro. Put your freaking common sense hat on."

He looked over at the lockers and then he slowly moved over by them. "How do you know that she's going to like him?" He asked as he stood awkwardly in front of his locker.

"Because, bro look," I said as I stretched out my coffee stained shirt. "He spilled coffee on me and-"

"And you think spilling coffee on someone is romantic?"

"If you would let me finish!" He chuckled. "Anyways, he spilled coffee on me this morning but he was nice enough to help me clean it up and he even offered to buy me another. Honestly, with the amount of money he gave me, I'm sure he wanted to buy me at least ten more drinks."

"I don't think that means anything. I mean, if I were to do that to someone I would help them clean it up and offer them another one too."

I sighed. He wasn't getting it and it was getting on my nerves. "Yeah but who cares about you. I'm telling you this man is the one. I felt his vibe and I have a feeling that he's most definitely husband material. He's not only a good person but he looks pretty good too."

"That's great, I guess. Good for you."

"Good for me? Why would that be good for me?"

"Good for the both of you; you and Ashley. She'll get the man of her dreams and you'll get the money. So good." His words were congratulating us but his voice was doing the opposite.

I just stood there and stared at him for a while. He was standing really close to his locker which made me think he was hiding something.

"Why the hell are you standing in front of your locker like that?"

"Uh, no reason."

"Alright then move out of the way."

He gulped. I sighed as I moved over to him to pull him away.

"Bro, what are you hiding?"

We were now tussling and making noises of tired, struggling men.

"Yo, nothing! So could you like, stop?"

I laughed as I yanked him away from his locker and he came crashing into me. I immediately wrapped my arms around him and picked him up to move him. As soon as I placed him away from locker, I quickly took a look and seen flower pedals.

"Bro, why the hell do you have flowers in your locker?"

He quickly bent down and started to unlock his locker. "Uh, th-, I was, uh."

When his locker opened, our manager, Marcia came in and stood in the room with her hand on her hips. "What's taking you two so long?"

"They're for Marcia!" He exclaimed as he pulled out the roses.

"What?" Marcia and I questioned simultaneously.

"Mhm, here. This is for being a lovely manager."

She hesitantly grabbed the flowers. "Uh, thanks, I guess but you two still need to get to work."

"Of course. Come along, Alvin."

He quickly walked out of the breakroom and Marcia and I immediately looked at each other.

"What is going on?" She mouthed.

I shrugged. "I couldn't tell you."

I went to the stock room, to help move boxes, setup pods, take merchandise out of the boxes to organize them, then I put the items out on the sales floor along with James who kept being weird. I knew there was something he wanted to tell me but I decided not to bother him.

For the rest of my shift, I stayed in the back and helped put security tags on the apparel while also hanging them up on racks so they could be good enough to put out onto the floors.

The reasons why I liked working in stock was that, one, I didn't have to deal with customers and two, I got to leave at three which was good compared to the time I usually left at.

James left at two so there was no reason for me not to be out of the door by 3:05. I was ready to go home and take a power nap. As soon as I got into my car, I checked my phone and right when I did that, I got text from an unsaved number.

~x~

[MESSAGES]

"Hey, Yeger. If this is really him. If this is not him and he gave me a fake number, I deeply apologize for interrupting your day."

I chuckled after reading his message.

"My name is not Yeger, actually. My name is Alvin Lee."

"Kabelo Sterling. (Laughing emoji, dead emoji) Why did you pick Yeger out of all names?"

"Lol, idek. It was the first thing that popped up in my mind, I guess. So wyd?"

"Just got off work. Tbh, I was scared to text you because I really thought you gave me a fake number."

"Nah, I'm not that type of dude. Why did you think that?"

"Because I probably ruined your day and you wanted to get me back by having me talk to some stranger that was probably going to kill me in my sleep."

"(Laughing emoji, laughing emoji, dead emoji.) I'm deeead! And you didn't ruin my day. Just the opposite."

"(Really happy emoji) So why did you want to keep in touch....with a guy who spilled coffee on you?"

"Are you single by any chance?"

● ● ●

I just sat there and stared at the three bubbles on my screen. Then they disappeared just to come back again.

"I am actually."

"Then that's exactly why I wanted to keep in touch with you. You seem nice and you're pretty good looking so I thought you would be a good match for my friend but I have to get to know you first."

"Your friend huh?"

"Lol, yeah my friend. Who else?"

● ● ●

It took him a while to respond again so I decided to use that time to drive home and once I got out, he finally texted me back.

"Are you available tmrw?"

"No, got work."

"Sat?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Would you like to go out to this party with me? We can get to know each other a bit better and maybe see if I'm a really good match for your friend. (Winking emoji.)"

"Yes! Omg! Yes! That's perfect bro! Send me the addy and time and I'll be there!"