C H A P T E R T W E L V E

My body was more than exhausted and sleep was currently my biggest necessity. I rolled over and tucked the sheets higher around my head to block out the light seeping through a gap in my curtains.

Sleep was bordering my vision as my phone began to ring and I groaned in annoyance. I turned over and hit the accept button, "hello" I mumbled out sleepily without checking the caller ID.

"Morning Julie" I heard Dad call from the other end of the phone.

"Dad?" I asked in complete confusion as Dad never called me unless Mum wasn't able to. There was a pause of silence before Dad spoke, "yeah er your mum demanded that I call to ensure you weren't sleeping away the day".

"Dad you know I treasure my sleep" I winged to my human alarm clock.

"I know, I know Kiddo but you know how your Mum is, she treasures the day more" he explained, I pulled the phone away to check the time and read 08:02.

"How am I sleeping the day away when its 8 o'clock!" I shouted into the phone flopping down backwards on the bed, "hey don't shoot the messenger kid" Dad said in alarm.

"Fine. It's not like I'll sleep anymore now anyway" I complained which earned a chuckle from Dad. "Tell Mum I said good morning, good early morning" I said putting emphasis on early.

Dad chuckled again, "will do kiddo, good early morning to you too" and with that the line went dead.

I grumbled as I sat up in my bed and rubbed my face in my hands. I swung my legs out of bed and immediately wanted to recoil because of the cold wind hitting the skin on my legs. "Eughh" I groaned further whilst walking to the bathroom to get ready for the day that I had been so rudely awakened for.

After I had finished getting ready I looked upon my pile of unfinished boxes and vowed to try and finish them before this evening.

A few hours and a tonne of boxes later I heard the text message notification sound ring off of my phone and I sat down on my bed to read it. I did not have the number saved but it had the address of the party in it as a response to my asking of it.

I responded back with a simple 'thanks' and saw that I had an unread message from my mum.

I assumed that my exhaustion and conversation with Elle had completely made me lose track of time and I had forgot to read what she had said back to me.

I opened up the text message and laughed. My mum was not much of a conversationalist over the phone and usually resorted to calling you and talking your ear off.

When you were in receipt of a text it was normally one of two thongs: blunt or creepy.

She blamed the lack of technology in her generation but I simply blamed her inability to pay attention too long if she was not directly talking to someone. This current message I would definitely place in the creepy category.

I noticed that time was running by and jumped up to get ready for the party. Elle's words rung in my ears reminding me that I had to prove that I was not as tightly wound as she would have people believe. I also had my Mum's text shadowed in the back of my mind:

The universe has a weird way of spinning around what you believe will happen and then give you something you never expected or imagined.