Chapter 9

I closed the door and walked over next to the boys. During this time i examined Sam, he had a bruised cheek also, and a cut above his right eye. His knuckles were cut open like he got in a fist fight, and he looked like he hasn't gotten any sleep for days.

"Cassidy, i assume you already know Samuel?" my dad asked me. I slowly nod still confused as why Sam was here, with Cole, in my house, with my dad.

"Yeah, he just moved here," i say with a shurg like it was nothing. My dad shakes his head and looks through one of his books as he talks.

"No sweetie, Sam has been living here for years, homeschooled. He just went to regular school because of something important." he says making me cross my arms in confusion.

"How about we just get to the point dad," Cole says. He was in a hurry because they had football Practice for the big tournament this weekend. Dad sets the book down, which had that thing Cole picked up from Calvin today at school.

"Sam is basically going to be your best friend for awhile...I know from sources you two are already close, which is good. Even if Cole and Keegan don't like it, i do. You two need to stay close," He says more to Sam than me. Was i missing something here? Cole seemed to know what was going on because he even nodded in agreement which is not like him.

"Alright, but im confused," i say. "How did you know about Sam?" i say making my dad look torn between two things.

"Don't ask questions baby girl, just be happy," He says dismissing us. I follow behind Cole and Sam as we walk out to the living room.

"Cole, are you going to tell Keegan?" Sam asked. Cole looks at him, then to me, then to Sam again.

"Yeah, i'll let him know whats up and get in touch with some of the others who haven't been around much, get them back in this. We don't know what's going to happen...Just keep an eye out," he says motioning toward me. I watch as Cole leaves the house in a rush. I turn to Sam.

"What is everyone not telling me Sam?" i say a little mad that i am left out all the time.

"Nothing Cass, don't worry your pretty little head about it," he teases as we go for a walk down the street.

"Okay fine, but will you at least tell me where you got the bruises and cuts? TJ was all banged up as well today, and he wouldn't tell me where you were," i complain as we walk through a near-by park. He puts his hands in his jean pockets and shrugs.

"I was around, doing things that need to be done... And i got in a little fight, no biggy," he says like it was nothing. I stop walking, making him stop and look at me.

"A little fight doesn't cause that big of a bruise and cuts Sam. I can take my dad and brother keeping secrets from me, but not you," i say getting upset. I have gotten close to Sam in just a few days, i don't know why, but i have. This lying game everyone has started playing these past few days is really getting old.

"Somethings are just better left a secret Cass," was all he said. That was it, i wasn't going to stand here and let him lie. I start walking toward my house when i see Maria running toward us.

"Maria?" i say as she gets to us, out of breath and has blood on her cloths. Sam was next to us in seconds.

"What happened?" he shoots out at her. She calms down a little before speaking.

"Someone broke in and stabbed Alex. He's bleeding bad," she says with tears streaming down her face. Sam starts running toward Maria's house which is a few houses down from mine, we follow behind. 

When we arrive, the front door is broken open, there is blood on the floor, and the knife used is laying on the ground beside Alex who wasn't responding to Sam. I was trying to calm Maria down, everything happened in a blur, the ambulence came and took him to the hospital, Maria rode along. My parents made a ton of calls that night and got in touch with their old friends i guess. Sam was sitting with me in my room, i was looking at the wall, i have been for an hour.

"Cassidy," Sam said for the millionth time, but still i just sat there. I just seen one of our friends be rushed to a hospital, how do you handle that?

"Cassidy baby," My aunt Layla's voice rang breaking me from my trance. I look up at my doorway and she was standing there. I get up and hug her, she was always on trips and i never seen her anymore.

"What are you doing here?" I asked a little more happy then before. She laughs a little and looks at me.

"Have you been downstairs, everyone is here. Uncle Zach, Uncle Rylee, Aunt Amber, everyone," she says making me confused once more.

"Sam could you let me have a talk with my aunt a minute," I ask him. He nods and leaves the room. I sit on my bed, Layla sitting next to me.

"What's wrong?" she asked. I look at her then the ground.

"Why is everyone hiding things from me?" I asked just as my mom walks in.

"I think she can tell you," Layla says before she kisses my head and leaves as well. My mom comes over and sits beside me and lets out a breath.

"Oh Cassidy, it wasn't supposed to be like this. Your dads past wasn't supposed to sneak up on you kids like this at all.." she say. Dad's Past? What was she talking about?

"What do you mean?" I ask her and she looks upset, sad.

"There is a lot we haven't told you and told Cole... A lot happened when your dad and I were your age, he mad mistakes, i made mistakes. We're in trouble Cass," she says holding back tears. What kind of trouble could bring my mom to tears, and have them all keeping secrets from me?