Chapter 38

Chapter 38

●●●

„I... just...if... can... Jimin!" Yoongi yelled as Jimin went to get one of those boards you give children who are just learning to swim. Laughing at how Yoongi stood there, pouting to himself, Jimin stalked back over and pushed the board into his hand.

"I'm not a child." The taller complained, not taking the board and keeping his arms crossed over his chest.

"But you can't swim." Jimin stated, still not retreating his outstretched arm. Grunting in dissatisfaction Yoongi made a face. "I don't need one of those. I'm not a child."

Sighing Jimin put the board to the side before grabbing Yoongi's shoulders and looking him deep in the eye. "So... would you be willing to go inside with me without this? I'll keep you above the water for sure."

A bit hesitant but not wanting to decline Jimin's wish of getting Yoongi used to water the boy nodded. "Yeah... but if I accidentally, I don't know, fall and there's water in my face I'm getting out of here." Yoongi warned and Jimin couldn't help but laugh breathily. "Such a drama queen." His voice was teasing and there was a happy glint in his eyes as he reached his arms out for Yoongi to take, while walking backwards towards the pool.

"I won't let that happen. Trust me." His voice was soft and reassuring. Nodding Yoongi slowly followed after him, giving it his best not to think of the water he was about to step in.

They entered the pool through steps in an area that was a bit shallower. Yoongi swallowed hard when he felt the cold water closing around his ankles. When he stopped dead in his tracks Jimin simply did too, looking at him a bit worriedly, but remaining patient and squeezing his hand in a reassuring manner.

Yoongi on the other hand could feel himself slowly panicking, his head spinning with the feeling of water. He could remember everything so vividly. The feeling of being pushed inside the cold dark waters and no longer knowing where up and down was. Not that it would have made much of a difference.

He could feel himself gasping for air, nothing but water filling his lungs. The dread that had filled him up back then came back.

As much as he was aware that he wasn't there right now, that his thoughts, the feeling of restrictedness on his lungs wasn't real, it felt like it was. That was until a pair of arms wrapped itself around him, hugging him tightly and carefully pushing him back, making him take a step out of the pool again. Out of that god forsaken water.

Yoongi's breathing was uneven, like he'd just run a marathon. He could feel himself gasping for air as Jimin carefully patted his back calmingly. "Shhhh it's alright..." His voice was soft, just like his body that was pressed against Yoongi's.

His breathing slowly coming back to its normal pace Yoongi blinked away the tears in his eyes. He hadn't even realized he was crying.

He glanced around the area. Luckily the weather wasn't really all that great which meant pretty much no one was visiting the outdoor swimming pool. Something Yoongi had especially asked for since other peoples' presence made him even more anxious than he was to begin with.

When he looked back at Jimin the boy was watching him with pouty lips. "It's super sad... that you can't really enjoy water."

Yoongi chuckled awkwardly, glancing to his side, his heart still acting up in his chest. "Sorry." His voice was weak and sounded broken.

He could see Jimin's expression morph into one that almost looked like pain. "Don't be. It's okay." He leant forward, placing a soft kiss on Yoongi's forehead. "You know... water is pretty friendly for the most parts and nothing to be scared of." Jimin's voice was soft. Water is not dangerous... the things that are inside of it are.

Taking a deep breath, Yoongi leant forward too and dropped his head onto Jimin's shoulder. "I know... it's just... I don't know." Frustration was clearly evident in his voice.

"Come on. Let's try again." Jimin said, carefully taking Yoongi's hands into his again. "Look at me. Think of how comfortable I am with water. Water likes me and I like it. It won't hurt anyone I care about." Hesitating once again, Yoongi stepped forward, still resting his head on Jimin's shoulder.

"I know I'm being ridiculous right now." Yoongi sighed softly and Jimin chuckled, running his hand through his hair. "No you're not. You have every reason to be scared. And I have every reason to help you getting you over that fear. Can I try something?"

Jimin asked, carefully pushing Yoongi's bangs back and looking the boy in the eye. Not even hesitating a second, Yoongi nodded. "Sure."

A happy smile made its way onto Jimin's face and he slowly pulled Yoongi towards the pool. The boy followed him, clearly uncomfortable but willing to try whatever Jimin was planning on.

When they were just a second before moving into the pool, Jimin started humming the song he and Yoongi had recorded just weeks prior. The moment he heard Jimin's voice Yoongi could feel the knot in his stomach dissolve, a warm feeling of familiarity flooding his head. He felt connected to the water. Like it was part of him.

It was almost like he could hear seagulls shrieking, waves hitting stones and the wind blowing across the sea. Maybe Yoongi should have felt scared. Those weren't his own feelings. It felt like he was taking in the world through someone else's eyes.

But it helped him relax when Jimin took the first step into the water with him. This time there was no adrenaline and panic rushing through him at the feeling of water around his ankles. Instead it felt familiar, relieving.

Yoongi couldn't help wondering whether that was what Jimin felt. If this was how he experienced the sea.

Jimin didn't stop humming until they were about waist deep into the water. He started being a bit quieter until his voice faded out completely, his eyes checking for Yoongi's reaction.

Unlike he had expected the fear didn't come back. He could feel himself grow a bit more nervous again, but in alright amounts. Some of the feeling stayed. The feeling of being connected to the water.

"Is that okay?"

Swallowing hard Yoongi nodded. "Yeah... it's okay." Yoongi said, slowly dipping his hand into the cold water. It felt good, not being reminded of how drowning felt like.

When he looked up again Jimin was smiling widely. "You have done amazing today. I think we should stop here... it's quite some progress, isn't it?" Jimin said softly, pointing at the water underneath them. Yoongi nodded.

Maybe he'd actually get over his fear at some point. He'd just have to trust Jimin.

A/N

Surprise surprise I got to update and I will do it again soon❤

My beta reader checked two chapters so one was uploaded here and the other will be in three days or something~

Look forward to it💕