Chapter 3

Zero's POV

I held Katana's hand as we walked to the front door. I was happy I would be successful and finally get a death note, but it was actually a bit sad seeing her go. I knew I should be happy, but the thing was how strange she was.

She was so young... everyone else I had gotten to kill themselves was probably at least 16. The most they did was cry. Not a single person had cut themselves for me. We did almost everything together. Being here was like losing a best friend. I started to cry and she could tell something was wrong. "Don't be upset, this is your moment. You're about to succeed, aren't you?" she asked.

I simply nodded and we approached a dead tree. I helped her get up and tie the rope to a high branch. She stood on the very thin branch below it and put the rope around her neck.

Kat's POV

I took my choker off once the rope was on my neck. As I dropped it to the ground, I looked at Zero. "This is it, I guess... goodbye, Zero." I said, trying my hardest not to cry. He flew up to me and kissed my forehead. I was going to miss Zero. He had been like a father to me these past years. I had to shake off that feeling though. I wanted him to succeed.

I stomped on the branch, cracking it a bit. I continued to do this as I heard some people screaming at each other from inside. I have to admit, I was a bit suspicious, but I didn't care. I had to make sure this was my final moment on Earth.

I was about to break the branch when I heard a familiar voice calling my name. "KATANA! DON'T DO IT, PLEASE!"

L.

He was back.

I stopped and saw him running to me. "Katana, please, get down..." I took the rope off my neck once I saw that he was crying. L himself, the greatest detective in the world, was crying over something that I did.

He picked me up and took me off the branch. I buried my head into his chest and sobbed. He held me in his arms for a bit and then brushed my bangs away from my eyes. "How did you know?" I asked him.

"Near read the note you left, but he couldn't find you. He called me and told me to get over here as fast as I could." he replied. "Please, don't scare me like that ever again..."

I told him I wouldn't, but deep down I told myself that I wasn't going to let Zero fail.