Chapter 21

I shot out of bed, tears pouring out of my eyes. I sighed, grateful that it was only a dream. L couldn't have died, it was only a nightmare. A loud beeping noise filled my ears, telling me I was in a hospital.

Suddenly, the previous night came back to me. Everything from the fire to that boy I saved flooded my mind. It gave me a headache how many memories that night left.

Light pulled me into a tight hug. "Thank goodness, I thought I lost you." he whispered into my ear. I sighed in response. He acted like he hated me just under a week ago, now he's acting like I'm his most prized possession.

"How long have I been unconscious?" I asked L.

"Two weeks." he responded. "You took quite a lot of damage after all the equipment hit you, so it was to be expected."

He turned his head. "Watari." he called. "Show her the video."

Watari nodded and opened a laptop to reveal a news clip. The whole thing was recorded footage of the fire and the events that took place.

I saw myself running into the fire and a familiar boy running out seconds later. My eyes widened as I saw several large pieces of the equipment crash into the fire exactly where I was as soon as I passed out.

Minutes later, the fire department and the police showed up along with several ambulances. Rewatching the incident was apparently so horrifying that Misa began to cry.

Just as it ended, a knock was heard at the door. Watari opened it only to reveal a face almost too familiar...