Chapter 27

Three weeks after L died, I had hardly left my bedroom. The world seemed worse than before. There as nothing that mattered to me until L took me in. For four years, I thought the world was full of hope. No more than a month ago, everything was all sunshine and happiness. Now, all of that is dead. My entire world crashed and burned the second I saw his corpse.

Light and Misa walked into my room. They sat down next to me on my bed. Light sighed and looked at me. "Katana, we're worried about you." he said

"Don't I have an alias I have to go by? What happened to 'Ena'?" I asked in an emotionless tone.

"Ryuzaki said you could go by your real name when no one but the Task Force is around." Misa said. The mere mention of L's alias made me cry a bit. Misa hugged me and I did nothing about it. I wish I hugged back, but all I could do was tug at my hair and sob.

Light looked me in the eye. "I know it's tough, but you have to let him go." he said. "I mean, look at you. You haven't eaten anything in almost a month, you isolate yourself from everyone, and all those blood stains are obvious..."

I began to cry even more. The thought of L filled my head. I just couldn't live without him. Zero damn well knew I only cut my wrists if anything bad happened. At the most, it would be five cuts if Linda attacked me, but it's gotten so much worse. If I heard someone mention L, there would be cuts all over my arms, legs, and torso. I grabbed my sides in pain, knowing there was nothing I could do.

Just then, Aizawa entered the room. "Miss Dokur- uh, Yagami, Near would like to speak to you..."

I got up and went downstairs for the first time since L's death. Even being in the same room he died in made me tremble in fear. I sat down in a swivel chair and looked up at the screen. It was completely white with a black N in the middle of it. I tried to hold back all my tears from how much it reminded me of L.

Near and I had a short discussion. He asked me to work on the case with him under my alias. I was completely shocked by this question and told him to give me some time to think about it. He said that was alright, but he would expect an answer within 24 hours and that I would have to be prepared to answer a few other questions if I said yes. I agreed and went back upstairs to my bedroom.

I laid on my bed and pondered my answer. It took me no more than five minutes to decide what I would do. I opened my laptop and video called Near.

"Well, what's your answer?" he asked. I sighed and closed my eyes, not wanting him to see how bloodshot they were. I slowly nodded.

"I'll do it."