Chapter 18 - Seafood Boil

Minju went to the ICU to check if the endorsed ventilator parameters to her. She didn't want to look dumb if the Doctor would ask. She checked the charts first and the RT's progress notes, checking if her copy matches all the parameters.

"Minju." Irene called, upon leaving bed three's isolation. "You're Minju, right?" She asked.

"Yes ma'am." Minju responded.

"Bed three is requesting for you, if that's okay." She said on a polite way. It turns out, Irene's not really scary. She's just simple.

"After I finish this." Minju pointed at the endorsement sheet and the charts. She has to focus on her work no matter how excited she also was to check on Wonyoung early morning.

She also has her own responsibilities in this hospital before anything else.

"Are you really going to check up on her? This is taking the wrong turn." Xiaojun tried to warn her. "You can't be close to a patient and you can't care for a patient beyond your practice. You're not her family, you don't have to do this." He told her, but Minju finished up and went to isolation three where Wonyoung was smiling as she entered.

As soon as Minju closed the door, Wonyoung grabbed her hand in panic. "Please help me. They told me I'll leave today." She pleaded.

Minju didn't know what to say, maybe Xiaojun was right, she shouldn't treat patients closer than they are. Wonyoung already developed an insight that Minju would do a favor for her.

"I...I can't." She stuttered. "Aren't you happy? You're going out of the hospital. Life goes on again." She told Woyoung who started breaking down.

"I don't want life to go on. I want it to stop. I like it here, no one visits me." She cried making Minju pity her more.

How much does a person has to suffer before she want to stay in the ICU without any visitors? Minju wondered.

It was weird to hear that from a girl as pretty as Wonyoung. She's got to be very popular in school. She looks like she has everything.

"Don't say that. There is more to life than you think." Minju tried to convince her but there was nothing that could possibly change her insight about life, and nothing's going to change her mind.

Wonyoung shook her head in disagreement, still crying.

That reminded of Minju of her chart. She was diagnosed with drug overdose. That made her more concerned.

"Did...someone drug you when you drunk with your friends?" She asked stuttering. She didn't know if she's allowed to ask these kinds of things.

Wonyoung shook her head but, there's something about her eyes that tells Minju that someone's after her.

"Please, I beg you. Please." Wonyoung pleaded, holding her hand.

"I...I'll see what I can do." Minju said leaving her room.

Upon going towards the station, she saw Lami with her own clothes and already fresh from the staff shower. She might have a date today with her boyfriend, Jeno.

"Lami, you admitted bed 3 right?" Minju asked making Xiaojun bite his lower lips in nervousness. Minju shouldn't be doing this. It seems weird.

After hearing that question, Lami took Minju's hand, takingnher towards the pantry, shutting the door for privacy. "She has cigarette burns on her sides, but no matter how we asked her about it, she just yells at us. I think there's more to her than a drug overdose. Something that the police should get involved. We can't do anything unless she would open up of course. The statement much come from the victim." Lami told Minju in concern.