Times Are Changing

It was decided after the first day of 7th grade that Ivory would remain home. Rave and Charles would teach her everything they learned in the day but once they got home. School was just not a good place for her with all of the bullies and everything. It was just easier if she stayed home and 'guarded the house.'

However there wasn't that much to do. She would stalk around the perfect mansion and just pray that Raven and Charles would be home soon. It certainly wasn't entertaining to try and play the games that they played together by herself. She would do it for a little bit but them become bored and go outside. She would run around and get in some exercise or even practice her flying skills when no one was watching.

When she wasn't outside she was usually reading. She very much enjoyed reading and longed for the end of the day when Charles brought home more books for her to read the next day.

That went on for years, at least until Charles entered college. Then he was at home more but he certainly had a lot of studying to do. Raven on the other hand didn't seem to have an interest in school which was fine. Ivory did but she could never go there. Instead she always helped Charles study.

The only thing that Ivory didn't like about Charles was how much he liked to go out. Raven didn't mind it but when he was out he was certainly different. He acted different and to Ivory he even smelled different, not that she would ever openly admit it. She just shut her muzzle and kept close to him but not too close. When they were out she wasn't allowed to speak and she was considered Charles's pet. She hated when he did that. Charles constantly just told her that he had to do that to protect both of them but Ivory didn't believe that. She just thought that he didn't want anyone to be frightened by her.

On a particularly harsh night Ivory stalked through the door with Charles following, drunk. "What's your problem," he snapped at Ivory.

Ivory felt the fur on her spine bristle. However before she could launch herself at Charles Raven stepped between them. "It's alright," chided Raven as she looked down Ivory. "He's a jerk when he's drunk."

Ivory gave a small nod and looked at Charles with eyes narrowed to slits. "My problem is that in here you treat me like your best friend but out there you treat me like a pet!" The muscles under her fur rippled. She was no longer the small pup that Charles had found. Now she was a full grown wolf that could take down Charles even on a bad day.

"A pet," echoed Charles as he swayed on his feet. He then sat down and continued to look at Ivory with a scorching gaze. "I didn't mean to do that-"

"Well you did," grunted Ivory as she turned so she didn't have to look at him. "I'm just like you, I just look different. Yet outside you act like I'm a pet! We're companions Charles! That's a massive different."

Charles sighed and pressed his fingers against his temple. Ivory felt the presence of Charles in her mind and she spun around snarling. "Don't. Even. Think. About. It."

That was all Ivory had to say. Charles leaned back and Raven sat beside him. "Ivory, come here."

Ivory twitched her ears and thought about defying Charles. He couldn't force her. They were friends but he wasn't her father.

"Ivory come on," urged Charles as he leaned forward a bit and patted his knees. "Don't be like this."

Ivory huffed and looked away, lashing her tail to and fro. Raven rested a hand on Charles's shoulder but he shrugged it off.

"You can't stay mad at me forever Ivory," pointed out Charles with a bit of amusement in his eyes.

Ivory sighed and grumbled under her breath before she forced herself over to Charles and Raven. She leaped on the couch in between both of them and spread out. She then rested her head on Charles thigh and sighed as he scratched her between her ears. Ivory had to admit that she enjoyed that so she let her tail wag against Raven.

"I'm so sorry if I made you feel like you were a pet," apologized Charles as he continued to scratch her between the ears before he moved to scratching her neck.

Ivory forced a sigh of understanding. "It's alright. I know you can be an old fart sometimes," she teased warmly before she turned her head and licked his soft hand.

Charles just laughed and wrapped her in a hug. Ivory couldn't breath but that didn't bother her. Raven then leaned in and joined in on the hug. Ivory was extremely thankful she had a family like this. She just hoped she'd never lose it.