Lost and Gains

They arrived back home and when Ivory leaped from the car. She gasped as she looked at the base that looked like a tornado had ripped through it. "Runningpaw! Shypaw!"

"Raven," cried Charles as he ran toward his sister, wrapping her in a hug.

Ivory surged forward and Runningpaw bolted to her. She sat and extended a paw to push him against her chest. She heard him sniff but she didn't care. Shypaw strode up and she stretched her neck to include her too. She felt Shypaw shivering against her in terror.

"Are you too alright," asked Ivory gently as she felt her motherly instincts take over a bit.

"We're fine," assured Runningpaw and when she released them Runningpaw wove around Kestrel who lowered his neck and Runningpaw tucked himself under Kestrel's neck. Kestrel's body showed protectiveness but Ivory saw a deep gasp on his shoulder that he was trying to hide.

"Not all of us," muttered Moonsong as she took a step forward, looking utterly defeated with deep loss settling in her eyes.

"Where's Darwin," asked Tony as he bounded beside Ivory and looked around.

"D-D-Dead," answered Asphalt as he looked to his two brothers.

"You're all being sent home," Charles declared as he looked to the humans but Ivory saw the fur along Kestrel's spine puff up.

"Home," scoffed Gorse as his shoulders tensed. "We have no home!"

"He's right," echoed Moonsong as she took a step forward with her tail lashing. "We don't have a place to call home."

"Besides they killed Darwin," answered Alex with determination shinning in his eyes.

"It's not safe," argued Tony as he lashed his tail. "I know what they're capable of. You shouldn't be here. It's a death wish."

"He's not going back to prison," cut in Sean as he pointed to Alex.

Ivory saw Runningpaw turn to Shypaw. "They're not going to force us away, are they?"

"Of course we're not," assured Erik as he looked at the two young pups. "We are going to avenge Darwin and defeat Shaw."

Charles shuffled his feet. "Erik, a word."

He steered Erik away and Ivory turned back to the group of wolves. She stretched out a paw and it gingerly stroked Kestrel's bloody shoulder. He groaned a bit in pain and drew away. "You should really have that treated."

"I will, once I know everyone else is taken care of," he replied as he looked over to Moonsong who was desperately trying to console both Runningpaw and Shypaw. They were only a few moons old, not even a year yet. They were too young for this type of heartbreak.

Ivory looked over to Gorse, Asphalt, and Ripple who were all talking with their heads bend and expressions unreadable. When Erik and Charles finally reappeared they looked like they had reached some type of resolution.

"So do we have to leave," asked Runningpaw as he tilted his head.

"Of course not," broke in Ivory before anyone else important. She stood over him and narrowed her eyes at Charles and Erik. "I won't let anyone."

"Calm down Ivory," chided Charles as he raised a hand. "No one has to leave. However if we're going to face Shaw then we're going to need to train and train hard."

"The base is kind of destroyed," pointed out Hank as he looked behind him. "It'll take them a long time to rebuild."

"We have no where else to go," muttered Ripple as he allowed his fur to bristle along his broad shoulders.

"There is one place," murmured Charles thoughtfully.

Ivory gave a small nod in understand. "Yes and if has more than enough room for all of us. Wolves and humans alike."

"W-W-W-What pl-place," asked Asphalt as he looked to Ivory with interest showing in his eyes.

Ivory smiled and Charles did the same while Raven turned to the group. "Follow us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't long before everyone arrived at Xavier mansion. Ivory was ecstatic when she saw the look on her friend's faces when they gazed at the mansion. Their eyes widened and their jaws gaped in awe.

"This is where you grew up," breathed Shypaw as she looked around, nearly tripping over her tail in the process.

Ivory gave a nod and licked her between the ears. "Yep I lived here with Charles and Raven."

"I don't know how you managed," grumbled Erik as he looked at the massive place. "Living in such hardships."

"It was a hardship softened by me," beamed Raven as she padded over to her brother and he kissed her on the side of the head.

"Let's show you all around," suggested Ivory as she wagged her tail in excitement and strode forward. This would be their home now.