Promise Kept

Ivory looked around madly for the healing herbs that Tony desperately needed. She sniffed around desperately but all she could find were leaves. She actually didn't know exactly what herbs Tony needed. She wasn't a healer, Kestrel was. She knew some of the herbs but certainly not all of them. She also didn't know which ones might help Tony or kill him.

She strode toward a bush with black berries. She stretched out her muzzle, ready to pick some of the berries off of the branch. Before she could though some slammed into her shoulder and she staggered. She turned her head and saw a small black male wolf with a white chest. She saw something sticky dripping from his nose and he sniffed to draw it back. She cringed at the sight.

"A little thanks could be nice," sniffed the black wolf.

"And why is that," retorted Ivory as she lashed her tail. Who did this male wolf think he was?!

The black wolf rolled his eyes and flicked a paw toward the bush. "See those berries? They're poisonous!" He gave another sniff. "Eating just one could kill you."

Ivory sighed heavily. "Thanks I didn't know."

"You looking for some herbs," asked the black wolf as he shuffled his paws a bit, wrinkling his nose as he snuffed again.

"Er yeah are you?" Ivory didn't mean it rudely but she knew that the black wolf took it that way. His milky blue eyes darted up to her and a growl rolled in his throat, making him cough a bit deep in his chest.

"Actually no," he replied dryly. "If you're wondering I was born like this."

"What," asked Ivory and she couldn't help the words tumble from her mouth. "You were born sick?"

The wolf wanted to answer but he let out a momentous sneeze instead and Ivory drew back, her fur bristling a bit. Once the wolf composed himself he looked up, narrowing his eyes. "No I have a compromised immune system. I catch every passing strain of illness. Unfortunately nothing I do will be able to help it. I'm Runningpaw by the way."

Ivory dipped her head. "I'm sorry about what I said Runningpaw. My friend was attacked by a grizzly and he has a fatal wound to his chest. I was looking for herbs to help him."

Runningpaw brightened. "I'm not a full healer but I was training to be one before I left my pack. Perhaps I can help."

"You'd do that," breathed Ivory in surprise as she followed the small wolf over to a tree where clusters of herbs were growing there. He began thinning out some leaves and stems from the patch and setting them aside.

"Of course," he mumbled around a mouthful of large leaves. "I couldn't let any wolf die."

Ivory beamed as he fumbled to grasp all of the herbs in his mouth. Ivory lowered down and helped him with the stuff that he couldn't carry. Ivory led the way with her tail swaying in nervousness. She just hoped that they would be in time to save Tony.

When they arrived Ivory rushed over to Tony and dropped the herbs in front of him. "Tony? Tony, can you hear me?"

He let out a groan and his eye half opened to show his agony. Ivory leaned toward him and licked his cheek gently.

Runningpaw strode forward but Ripple rose to his paws before his freshly made nest and snarled. "Who is that?"

"Runningpaw," answered Ivory to the hostile sire. "He can save Tony."

Runningpaw didn't say anything as he passed Ripple and settled beside Tony. He made Tony lay on his side before he lifted his head away from his chest to see the damage. He looked thoughtfully and when he stretched out a paw to graze the wound Tony howled, raising a paw to clutch as his bloody chest.