Hairspray- Steve Harrington [2]

[Thursday, November 22, 1984]
Y/N's P.O.V -

"Y/N sweetheart, wake up or you'll be late for school." My dad says, peeking his head into my bedroom.

I groaned, turning over and grabbing my glasses from the bedside table.

I got out of bed and got dressed, it didn't take long to find an outfit to wear, but it took me twenty minutes just to do my hair, spraying each curl with Farrah Fawcett spray.

I heard the front door close as my dad left for work, which meant I was left with my devil of a stepmother.

"If you're not ready in the next five minutes I will leave without you!" She yelled.

I put on some mascara and lip balm, then rushed to put my bracelet and scrunchie on my wrists.

I ran out of my room and nearly fell down the stairs trying to get my shoes on. She stood at the front door, tapping her heels on the floor.

"Took you long enough." She said, opening the front door.

I refrained from making a snippy comment, knowing it would likely end up with a smack to the back of my head.

Thank god for her heavy foot, we made it to the high school within ten minutes.

"Don't be late after school, or you will be walking home." She said, lighting a cigarette.

"I won't be late." I replied.

She looked my way, blowing cigarette smoke in my face.

I stood up and slammed the car door shut, swinging my bag over my shoulder and making my way to the entrance.

"Y/N wait up." I heard from behind me.

I turned to see Nancy stepping towards me.

"Hey Nancy." I said.

"What's up? Mom giving you trouble again?" She asked.

"Stepmom, and yeah." I replied, opening my locker.

"Just ignore her." She said, leaning against the lockers.

The bell rang, and Nancy left for her English class. I closed my locker and walked down the hallway, making my way to my math class.

By last period I was ready to throw a fit. Tommy had spent the entire English class hitting me in the back with balls of paper. And Steve was no help, he was too busy actually taking notes.

The bell finally rang, and I bolted out of the classroom, pulling my bag onto my shoulder as I jogged towards my locker.

As I was putting away my books, I felt a hand touch the small of my back.

"Hey, any chance I could get your notes from class today?" I recognized the voice immediately.

"No Billy, and get you hand off of me before I break it." I said, closing my locker and turning to face him.

"Mm, feisty." Billy replied, a shit eating grin spread across his face.

"Fuck off Billy." I said, pushing past him.

I walked out to the school and looked for my stepmom's car, but it wasn't there.

My shoulders slumped, but hope was not lost. I looked towards the gym to see Steve Harrington.

I ran up to him, skidding to a stop at his side.

"Hey Hot-shot." I said, nudging his shoulder.

"Hey Smalls, what's up?" He asked.

"Stepmom isn't picking me up." I replied.

"I can give you a ride home after basketball practice." He said, opening the gym door.

"That would be great. I'm going to go to the library to do some homework, come get me when you're done." I replied.

"Just do your homework in the gym, I'll try not to be too distracting." He said with a cheeky wink.

"I'm not worried." I replied.

He faked offense, making me laugh.

Steve left to change for practice, so I sat on the bleachers and pulled out my books.

"You stalking me Y/L/N?" Billy asked, walking in my direction.

"You wish Hargrove." I replied, not looking away from my English homework.

"So why are you here?" He asked.

Steve walked out of the changing room, laughing at a joke one of his team members made, causing me to look in his direction.

Billy followed my gaze, locking his eyes on Steve.

"Harrington? Really? Are you two dating?" He asked, but I didn't reply, just looked back at my homework.