Home (3) - Whitey Winn

I turned to look at who spoke and saw Sherrif Bill McNue, a man who dealt with my father almost as much as my grandmother had to.

"Welcome home." He said as I walked up to his table.

"How did you recognize-" I stared to ask.

"I would recognize your face in a crowd miss Bennett, not even age can't change that." He replied, looking up at me with a smile.

"I missed you Bill." I said as he stood up.

"I missed you too Y/N." He said, pulling me into a hug.

The other three people in the bar perked up upon recognizing who I was, and all started speaking at the same time.

"Welcome home miss Bennett, you've been missed around here."

"It's been a long time miss Bennett, if only your father were here to see the woman you've become."

"Your drinks are on the house tonight Y/N, welcome home."

I smiled and sat down across from Bill, who had gotten the bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

"What's with all the noise in here, I could hear you from the jail."

I rotated my seat to follow the sound of the voice, and saw the face of a boy I never thought I'd see again.

"Well if it isn't Whitey Winn, the scrawniest boy in La Belle." I said, sitting back in my chair.

Whitey's eyes widened as he looked from the barkeep to where I was seated.

"Y/N! Is that really you?" He asked.

"In the flesh." I replied, a smile on my face from ear to ear.

He stood there, frozen, and stayed there for a minute before I spoke up again.

"So, are you going to come hug me or not?" I asked, making him smile and walk over to the table.

I stood from my seat just as he arrived at the table, and he pulled me into a hug, lifting me off of the ground and squeezing me tight.

He held me for a minute before setting me back down on the ground and releasing me from his grip.

"I can't believe you're back, when did you get here?" He asked.

"Not long ago, I got a room at the hotel just before coming here." I answered.

"Are you staying here?" He asked.

"Yeah, Kansas wasn't where I wanted to be, so I'm back in La Belle and I'm here to stay." I said as Bill poured three glasses of whiskey.

"When did you get a third glass?" I asked.

"When Whitey was suffocating you." Bill answered, making me giggle.

The three of us raised our glasses and looked at each other.

"To Y/N, who finally came home." Bill said.

We all smiled, then drank our whiskey. That's how the rest of the night was spent, drinking, laughing, and reconnecting.