P.D and Med (7) - Jay Halstead

[Thursday, 12:49 p.m, a couple weeks later]

Y/N's P.O.V -

Nothing quite says 'bad day in the ED' like a man with a gun threatening to kill everyone.

Currently I am hiding in a treatment room with a patient and her husband, watching as one of the nurses is bleeding out behind the desk.

It didn't take long for P.D to show up, and I felt relieved when I caught a glimpse of Jay sneaking around to get eyes on the man with the gun.

I stayed sitting behind the door, but I could hear what was going on.

"Drop the weapon!"

He didn't respond.

"Halstead, one of the nurses was shot, I don't know how much longer she has left." I yelled from behind the door.

"Okay, reason with me, if you're not going to drop the gun, at least let a doctor help the woman dying behind that desk." Jay said.

There was quiet for a moment.

"Fine. But the doctor has to help her behind the desk, no leaving." The man said.

I scrambled to my feet, grabbing supplies before making my way out of the treatment room. Immediately I saw Ethan silently telling me to let him go out instead, but I simply shook my head. I looked to Jay, who gave me a simple, reassuring nod as I walked to the nurse.

I blocked out all noise around me as I checked to make sure she was still alive. As I switched my position over her; within the split second it took for me to go from checking her pulse, to reaching for the gauze, the man made a sudden move, and a shot rang out in the ED.

I whipped my head around the see the gunman with a bullet wound to his torso. I turned and looked at Jay, who still had his gun up.

Nurses and doctors all started rushing around the ED, checking patients to make sure they were okay. I was joined on the floor by Ethan, who picked up the nurse and carried her into the hybrid OR, closely followed by Dr.Marcel, the new trauma surgeon.

I looked around for something to do, but it seemed as though everything was under control. I stood from my position and walked to the bathroom to wash the blood off of my hands.

When I walked out of the bathroom, Jay was leaning against the wall.

"Hey." I said, standing in front of him.

He didn't respond, just pulled me into a hug.

"Maggie said you can go home if you want." He said.

"No, I'm fine to stay." I replied.

"Y/N, you almost got shot, are you sure you're alright?" He asked.

"Yeah... yeah I'm fine. I'm off in a few hours anyways." I explained, my face still pressed against his chest.

"What time are you off?" He asked.

"I'm off at four." I answered.

"Okay. Take it easy, and I'll pick you up at four." He said, kissing the top of my head.

"Aren't you suppose to be working late tonight?" I asked.

"I've already talked to Voight, he said I can get off early to spend time with you." He explained.

"You're the best." I said looking up at him with a smile.

He leaned down and gave me a quick kiss. We separated from our hug and walked back to the ED. Jay walked over to Kevin and Adam, I walked to Natalie and Maggie.

The three of us talked for a couple minutes before we were interrupted by Jay walking over to us.

"I've got to go, but I'll see you at four." He said before leaning towards me and kissing my cheek.

"Okay, I'll see you then. I love you." I said.

I quickly realized what had slipped out of my mouth, causing me to turn a brilliant shade of red.

I looked to Jay, who had a satisfied smirk on his face, obviously amused by my reaction. He wasn't alone, Natalie and Maggie, who I've told about the lack of 'I love you's' thus far in our relationship, seemed just as shocked and entertained as Jay.

He leaned in again, this time connecting his lips with mine for a quick kiss before pulling away and whispering, "I love you too."