E I G H T E E N

'That's why I need a one dance

Got a Hennessey in my hands

One more time 'fore I go

Higher powers taking a hold of me'

_-_

M A Y A

Maya nervously bit her lip as she surveyed the sea of bodies permeating the vast backyard. 

That morning, King had dutifully texted her reminding her of the family barbeque - adding that she should preferably bring a friend so that she wouldn't feel out of place.

Yet as Mayalika stood there clutching onto her thrift store purse with an already turned up Sadie dancing beside her she felt anything but comfortable. 

"Should you be drinking?" Maya inquired, turning to her friend who was already on her fourth shot, "Aren't you looking after Jordan tonight?" She asked.

Sadie snorted, downing her glass, "Nope. He's with his grandma." She replied.

Maya nodded absentmindedly; her eyes scanning the crowd of people in search of those familiar brown orbs she had gotten so used to in the past months.

Maya glanced down at her two piece white outfit wondering if it was slightly over the top. 

Sadie had managed to persuade her into wearing a tank top that was showing far too much cleavage for her liking and a pair of pants that were far too tight for her thick thighs. Although she did have to admit the wedges she was wearing were cute. Maya had managed to leave the house with her blue jean jacket out much to Sadie's distaste.

Maya pulled the jacket closer around her form as she felt a slightly cold breeze; signalling the end of summer and the nearing of winter.

"Where's your man?" Sadie yelled over the loud music.

Maya shrugged, "I don't know." She answered honestly.

All she wanted to do was slip out of the garden and run back to her car and hide until she reached the comfort of her home. Despite bugging to meet Omari's family; Maya wasn't sure she was ready to face all these people who had attended what he had described as a 'small family cookout'.

Maya hesitantly turned towards Sadie, pulling her lip between her teeth as she glanced anxiously around, "Maybe we could slip outta here and-"

Someone loudly shouted her name loudly over the music making her pause as she anxiously searched for the source. Her brows furrowed as she watched a slim latina woman push her way through the crowd. She caught Maya's stare, a bright smile appearing on her round face as she preceded to push her way towards the two.

The woman was tall, her head peeping out of various clusters of people as her blonde curly hair bounced flamboyantly under the bright rays of the sun. Her supple curves were accentuated in the tight yellow romper she wore. 

When she finally reached the two she beamed brightly at Mayalika causing her to shift uncomfortably.

"Your Mayalika?" She said in a way that it sounded more like a statement than a question.

Mayalika nodded silently; turning towards Sadie slightly as if asking her who this bitch was. Sadie shrugged - as if understanding what she was saying - grabbing another cup filled with brown liquor.

"And you are?" Maya inquired. 

The girl giggled sticking her hand out, "Jasmine - I'm Donavan girlfriend. Omari asked me to come and look for you," She beamed speaking quickly.