T W E N T Y - F I V E

'Acting like we wasn't more than a summer fling.

I said farewell,

You took it well.

Promise I won't cry over spilled milk,

(Ooh no, I won't)'

_-_
M A Y A

Mayalika leaned back into the plush leather sofa in her brother's office, angling her phone above her face so she could still see her friend, Ruth. Ruth and Mayalika had been best friends since high school and had been attached from the hip since then. Where ever you saw Mayalika Ruth wasn't far behind.

"What should I wear for my date tonight?" Ruth sought. She held up two outfits: one a slim bodycon dress with a v neck bodice while the other was a large distressed average t-shirt.

Maya pointed to the first one, "Wear it with those golden heels you have it'll look good since you have a skinny figure," she complimented.

Wherever they went Maya would always compare herself to her slender friend as she always got everything Maya couldn't achieve: supportive parents, a sufficient job and an amazing penthouse. Whereas Maya was still living at her parents' house stuck with a crappy internship as her brothers PA.

And that left her now, sitting in his vast office waiting for him and his secretary to return from their meeting with the board. The knob on the door jingled causing Mayalika to abruptly sit upwards.

"Look, Ruth, I'm going to have to call you back..." She trailed off, fixing her hair as she waited patiently for the door to open. Javion sauntered into the room with Grace hot on his heels. When he caught sight of Maya he beamed - hurrying towards his little sister picking her up off the ground and whirling her around.

"JAVION! PUT ME DOWN I'M HEAVY!" Mayalika squealed.

Javion slowly put her down, looking deeply into her eyes. Javion had always quarrelled with Mayalika when she would frown on her body weight. He shook his head while another person made their presence known.

"Sibling love. It makes me almost wish I had one!" He smiled ruefully. Maya shuddered in disgust as she stared at the man leaning by the door.

Paul.

Not only was he one of the biggest investors the company has but he had been married to their sister Xamilia for 10 years and always found a way to make her upset. Their relationship was toxic: with Xamilia desperate to keep her title as his wife and Paul desperate to relive his 20's.

"Paul." Maya coolly acknowledged, gripping onto her brother's arm. Javion glimpsed down at his baby sister with furrowed brows. 

Ever since Mayalika's birth, an unspoken bond had been formed between the both of them that shone every time they hung around each other. Much to Xamilia and their mother's distaste, Mayalika had always been the adored baby of the family and was treated with greater care and protection from the males of her family. Especially from Javion.

Paul chuckled before advancing into the room, "Maya I thought we got rid of all the formalities years ago!" he smiled, reaching out to touch her before Javion blocked his way, scowling at the 49-year-old man. Paul chuckled to himself, taking a small step back, his eyes trained on Maya. Tension grew in the room as all eyes were directed in different ways.

Grace coughed, "Sir, we have an opening event to get to in about...15 minutes." she stated softly placing her arm gently upon his chest.

Mayalika shook her head. She knew Grace had a crush on her older brother yet she knew he would never settle down. Javion was a fuck boy in it's purest form he would fuck anything that walked on two legs. Countless people had befriended Mayalika just to get closer to Javion. She was glad that Gracie or Ruth wasn't one of them