T H I R T Y

'Lazy and broke?

No, he get this money, so I guess I can't complain

But I feel alone even when we're alone

And that don't cost a thing'

_._
M A Y A

Mayalika ran.

Her blood pumped through her veins. Turning a sharp corner, she almost knocked an elderly lady off her feet. Her hair flew behind her in a low ponytail, the cold weather that Autumn brought slapping against her face. Ralph (her usual running buddy) was currently touring Europe with Abba who had left the bakery in the hands of Mayalika since she had graduated two months ago.

So here she was alone, jogging the streets of Brooklyn by herself as the sweet melodic voice of Jaquees played through her Air Pods. She had woken up at 6 in the morning, forcing herself awake and had grabbed a bottle of water and an apple before heading out of Omari's house for a calming jog.

She had needed space since last night's occurrence - and so did Omari she thought to herself. What with learning he had a 3-year-old daughter who he had missed out on so many milestones. Her first words, smile, laugh and even first steps. She thought it would be better to leave him alone for a while. She didn't want to intrude. Mayalika pushed her legs to go faster until a burning sensation crept up her ankles; attacking her thighs with the intense need to slow her pace.

Finally, she stopped for a break, sitting on a bench that was worn and faded from the glossy look that decorated it only a decade ago. She unscrewed the lid of her bottle taking long gulps to try and quench the dire need to run again. Despite being a big girl, Mayalika had always been a fast runner despite other people's thoughts that all she did was sit on her ass all day and stuff her face with junk food.

Mayalika let out a long sigh, running a hand down her face. Her life was fucked up. She never thought a year ago this is where she would be. Temporarily running her grandmother's bakery until she came back tonight sure but not the other...baggage. Not that she considered Omari as such yet lately she couldn't help the nagging feeling that every time they took two steps forwards something would always push them several back.

She sighed closing her eyes for a brief second.

Standing back up, Mayalika sealed the lid upon the water bottle before setting back off on her jog.

/@/

Maya gently closed the door to her apartment, silence dawning on her. She couldn't wait until Ralph returned to her tomorrow. Maya threw her overnight bag on her kitchen counter, letting out a sigh as she glanced around her apartment.

"Hey Alexa, play cooking my playlist"

Soon, H.E.R filled the kitchen making a smile graze Maya's face as she hummed the tune to Focus, pulling out the ingredients to make herself cookies.

Baby, can you focus on me? Babe

Hands in the soap
Have the faucet's running and I keep looking at you
Stuck on your phone and you're stuck in your zone

You don't have a clue
But I don't wanna give up
Baby, I just want you to get up
Lately I've been a little fed up
Wish you would just focus on