how to break a heart

Is it better to break a heart, or have your heart broken?

I think at this point, breaking a heart would hurt less.

Because I'm so tired of seeing hearts lying trampled on the ground, hearts clawed into bits and pieces, too destroyed to ever be glued back together.

Hearts torn to shreds, stored in jars and paraded around like some sick, sadistic display.

Everyone's hearts are breaking.

Shhh...if you listen carefully, you can hear them all shatter like glass.

When someone whispers a word, when someone takes a step, when someone walks out a door.

Hearts start to crack.

They like to depict a broken heart, split cleanly in half with perfectly jagged lines down the middle.

That must be nice, to still have half a heart.

Because many keep their hearts in grains and smithereens, all the adhesive tape in the world will never fix them.

People are born incomplete, so they seek a way to be completed.

By taking a piece out of someone else.

And they in turn take something from another.

And so the cycle goes, everyone takes pieces of us away and people lose themselves.

Hearts erase themselves away.

And slowly get crushed into nothingness.

To keep yours, you must break another.

But you risk forgetting you ever had a heart.

The result is all the same, either way,  to break or be broken, we go back to zero, unfeeling, stone cold, dead.