the thing about forgetting

It is a cliche

It is a cliche.

Two people meet and fall in love, then one sacrifices themselves to save the other.

It happens in movies.

It is a cliche.

One comes back, but forgets the other.

The pain, the love, the loss, vanished.

What a cliche.

But cliches originate from real life, and here she is, standing in front of me.

Saying,

"Who are you?"

We've become the girl and boy in the movies, except no one can confirm our happy ending.

Real life is not like the movies.

Real life doesn't play out like the movies.

Idealism will get you nowhere but your head in the clouds and feet dangling too far off the ground.

Hope will get you nowhere but a knife through your heart and your soul crushed to shards.

She does not remember. She never does.

She might have thought at that moment then, that I was her one true love, that I was worth dying for.

But here she is, smiling at another boy, looking at him the same way she used to look at me, all starry-eyed and infatuated, and just like that, I have been replaced.

Just like that, she forgets she was ever in love, she was ever loved, she was ever ready to die for someone else.

But I'm fine with that.

I had my chance, I had my time, I felt loved.

She's got another chance, another start, another life.

One where danger isn't her last name.

It's ok if I'm not the reason, as long as she still smiles.

"If trying to remember me becomes too much for you to bear,
You can forget about me anytime."