more than a boy

The first time she saw him, it was from the neon glow of a mobile screen.

He was to be her first kill, the first one to stain her blade red.

He was tall, blonde hair, hazel eyes, he looked so normal.

So easy for her to kill.

After all, he was just a boy.

A boy who happened to be the enemy.

A boy she had been ordered to erase from existence.

Nothing more, nothing less.

She learned that the boy on the screen had a name.

Asher Kavanagh.

But that didn't make him any less of a target.

-

The first time she meets him, is when she least expects it.

She's been observing him at school for a while now, watching him, waiting, but she never expects him to come straight to her.

She's standing on the edge of the school roof, overlooking the city, the cold wind biting at her face, when someone shouts from behind her.

"H-Hey! Please don't die yet! Your friends and family would be really sad if you died! A-And you look really cute! In glasses! I don't think someone who looks so good in glasses should die! "

She almost laughs right then, friends? Family? She has none of those. Her intention wasn't to kill herself, but now...it doesn't sound so bad. No one would miss her.

And glasses? Did he like glasses?

It didn't matter anyway, she had a job to do.

She turns around to face the boy, and by the time she reaches him, her dagger is through his heart.

Asher Kavanagh is dead.

Except he isn't, he isn't dying at all.

He looks up at her, expression a little strained, slightly shocked, as the blood seeps through the fabric of his shirt and spreads across the material.

Then, forcing out a smile, he says, "Uh...do you think you could do something about the dagger?"
-

Turns out, the boy is immortal.

Half-human, half-spirit, he's something she's never seen.

So she tries, again and again, her dagger through his back and always tracing his neck, but he won't die, he doesn't die.

He was still a target though, he had to go.

Until one day, they call a truce and he pays for her dinner.

Until one day, he helps her kill her first spirit.

Until one day, he invites her to join his club.

Her fragile ice cracks. 

It's too late, he's become the one thing to her he should never be.

The boy is no longer a target, he's become a friend.

But he shouldn't be, he shouldn't be near someone like her, because all she will do is make him unhappy, all she will do is drag him down with her, she's better off alone.

But he runs after her anyway, and she wonders why he's being so nice to her.

"You should stay away from me, I'm not normal, I'm someone you should be afraid of."