what we lost

You and I were polar opposites

I was summer.

Young, naive, immature, playful. I had thought the world was sunshine and all things good.

You were winter.

Beautiful, but oh, so cold. You could never touch the sun, or feel the burn of the heat, because you would melt. Melt into a tiny million drops of shiny, translucent liquid.

You were cold, freezing cold. Your touch was nothing but ice against my own pale skin, and you carried yourself with the rigidity of a winter soldier.

But you were warm too. Oh so very warm.

Your eyes betrayed your skin.

We were worlds apart, but yet so very close. And maybe it was because we were fragile, we broke at the touch of another, but somehow, when our fingertips met, I felt stronger.

You gave me the courage I didn't know I had.

So maybe that's why we fit, like two shattered diamonds, finding their other half.

I was glad you were there. Every time I fell, every time I crashed, every time my legs gave out, I wasn't afraid, because you were there.

And you told me to walk until I could no longer walk , and then walk some more. You knelt down beside me and pulled me from the ground, and you walked with me.

You were so different from everyone else. You didn't tell me to change, you didn't tell me how I could change. You took one look at me and took my hand, you were the change.

Then they took you away from me.

Stolen, right in front of my very eyes.

They crushed you, broke you, and you splintered then.

Into tiny, shining fragments, like crystals that caught the sun's rays and shifted a thousand colourful shades.

You fell, and even in death, you were beautiful.

It was then that I realised, you fought for me.

How is it that I never noticed, you suffered for me?

And right to the very end, you smiled, put your fingers to your lips and told me to stay silent.

You sheltered me from the grave.

And I lost the feeling.

The feeling I got every time we talked.

The feeling of "this is so right, this is meant to be".

It felt like fate had cheated me.

Do you know? I never loved you.

But I had never been so close to love, as when I met you.

We started as embers, but the sparks we tended in that little fire was stamped out, washed away by the rain, before the flames could truly bloom.

I miss you.

You were the better part of me, the only one who understood. You were so much more brave and kind and strong. More than I ever was.

And now you're gone.

We were never lovers, we were never in love, but we could have been.

Could have been.

Now, it never will be.