Chapter 15

James's POV

I slowly pull away from Riley. We both smile at each other, the first time I seen her smile after we've kissed. But her smile fades.

"I'm, I'm sorry. I don't know why I just did that." She says flustered as she ducks her head. I tilt her chin up with my finger and kiss her softly on the lips.

"I guess we're even now, huh?" I say with a smirk. She rolls her eyes, something that I'm starting to find adorable.

"Goodnight James." She says. I give her another quick peck on the lips.

"Goodnight Riley." I say happily while I watch her get out of the truck and walk into her house.

Riley's POV

I creep inside the dark house. Only now did I realize that it was passed midnight, and I'm praying that my father hasn't waited up for me.

I peer in the kitchen and living room. Nobody is there. I check the dining room. No one there either. I head towards the stairs, only to find a dark figure standing on them.

"God! You almost gave me a heart attack!" I shriek.

"How was the party?" My dad asks.

"Fine I guess." I reply. He doesn't say anything back. "Look, I'm really sorry I'm late getting back, but please don't blame James! There was traffic and-"

"Riley, calm down." He says.

"You're not mad?" I ask astonished. He chuckles.

"No, but make sure you don't make this a habit." He tells me. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Thanks." I say.

"So, you seem to like James." He inquired.

"Oh please." I scoff.

"I have eyes Riley." He says.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I question.

"I seen you two out in his truck kissing." He says with a weak smile.

"I, um, uh..." I stammer. He chuckles.

"Goodnight sweetheart." Is all he says before going back up the stairs and to his room, leaving me at the bottom of the stairs, stunned and still stuttering.