Chapter 17: Prelims pt3. Vegeta enters the scene!

The Genin were all given a rest period, the matches had been quicker than assumed so there were only two left. Between the four genin, left to fight there was Gohan, Lee, Zaku and Dosu.

"So Gohan, you think you're gonna win?" Naruto asked, ever since the end of the last stage, Gohan looked a bit, off. Had something happened? Gohan also had two new medallions around his neck, one was a wolf's head and the other an eagle's.

"I don't know, I haven't seen either of the sound ninja fight except for Kin, and Lee is really strong." Gohan responded.

"Where did you get those?" Naruto asked, poking at the wolf head medallion, he could've sworn he saw the green eye move a second ago.

"I picked them off some enemy shinobi in the forest, it was their source of power or something." Gohan responded, not exactly lying but he didn't want to explain everything to Naruto right now.

"Oh, do they give you any powers?" He asked, maybe Gohan would give him the eagle one and he could fly, that would be so cool.

"I haven't tried yet." Gohan answered, Naruto was right he was feeling out of it, he looked to his blond friend and saw the curiosity, "And no, you may not have one."

"Aww come on Gohan, can I please?" Naruto asked, curiosity eating away at him.

"After the exams you may try one." Gohan succumbed.

"So, who do you think you're gonna fight?" Naruto changed the subject.

"I would like to see him and the bushy-browed kid go at it, it may be fun." Kurama told Naruto, who ignored the fox.

"I think it'll be either Dosu or Zaku, with Lee fighting the other, it makes the most sense." Gohan said.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, if both Lee and I fought one of the ninjas from Sound, then it would nearly ensure that the leaf dominates the exams. These exams are a replacement for war, the country who wins is viewed as the strongest for the next generation." Gohan explained, having already gone through everything with the Hokage before joining the academy.

"Oh, so you mean if I win I'll be seen as the strongest of our generation?"

"Yes Naruto, you would. But there are many strong competitors here, I'm not sure if any of the rookies will advance to the end."

"I will, believe it!" Naruto exclaimed. Gohan facepalmed.

Just outside the building Videl, Goten, and Sakura were taking a walk. "So Sakura, what did that jutsu you used on Ino do?" Goten asked.

"Yea, I'm pretty curious too." Videl said.

"It let me make a giant shadow in my mind to fight her consciousness, Kakashi taught it to me in case I fought her in the exams." Sakura explained, "It was a technique made solely to combat the Yamanaka clan, though with a bit of a modification it can be used to knockout your opponent as long as they have a weak will."

"That's pretty cool, can I learn the second version?" Goten asked, a sly smile on his face.

"No, I don't think that you'll actually use it properly."

Goten crossed his arms, "I was gonna use it on the old man and see if he would faint, it would suck if the Hokage himself had an easy weakness like that."

"Absolutely not Goten!" Videl slapped the boy in the head.

"Sorry."

"So, who do you think Gohan is gonna fight?" Videl asked.