Chapter 23: Shikamaru's Newest Jutsu

"Next Match, Shikamaru Nara versus Arthur Yamikaze." The proctor announced, it had been around fifteen minutes since Naruto's surprising victory over Neji Hyuuga and Shikamaru was pacing in anticipation. As soon as the young clan heir heard his name, he jumped down to the arena and got in his position. Arthur followed soon after. When the two were ready and the crowd was hushed, the proctor began the match, "Begin!"

"Flaming Crescent Blade!" Arthur started the match off with the jutsu he used to beat Choji, he formed a blade of fire on his hand and charged Shikamaru, who was still standing in his original position.

'He's coming, but I have no clue how to stop this.' Shikamaru thought, plans formulating in his head, 'This is the best idea.' He thought, sidestepping the first swipe and aiming a kick for Arthur's head, the only part of his body not covered in armor. Shikamaru's kick landed, pushing Arthur to the floor as he flew a short distance. Shikamaru didn't let up there though, he then placed his hands into a circular position, crouching down slightly as he did so.

Up in the stands Asuma, who was seated with the Genin, recognised this pose and said, "Arthur's in trouble, that's Shikamaru's thinking pose."

"So, he's thinking." Naruto said, "What's the big deal?"

"Shikamaru's a genius, when he does that his mind races and formulates more plans than the kid can count, all on how to defeat the particular enemy he's facing." Asuma explained.

"If he's so smart then why did he get such bad scores in the academy?" Sakura asked, if Shikamaru was that smart then he should've destroyed her scores.

"He's lazy." Asuma said, causing everyone to sweatdrop.

Back in the arena, Arthur had begun to attack Shikamaru again, but the dark haired genius was too quick, expertly leaning over and slipping around the blades of wind Arthur had created.

"I know about your ability." Shikamaru said, dodging one of Arthur's slices and punching him in the face, Shikamaru then moved his hands through a large amount of hand signs, chakra growing around him as he did so.

"SHIKAMARU!" Asuma shouted, "DON'T DO IT!"

"Sorry Asuma-sensei, but I have to beat him." Shikamaru said calmly. "Katon: Shadow Controlling Flame Demon Great Takeover!" Shikamaru shouted, the chakra around him turned into black fire, making the shape of a large ogre that surrounded Shikamaru. The ogre soon fully formed, the Nara heir standing calmly inside of it. "Arthur, I made this specifically to defeat you. It took half the month to figure out how to do it, and I still needed help. Then the other half the month to extend my chakra reserves so that I could last a minute in this form. So let's do this." Shikamaru charged the blonde Yamikaze, one giant fist ready to smash the boy, who jumped upwards. Shikamaru then smirked, pulling his fist back and delivering a boot kick to Arthur, who couldn't contort himself well enough in the air quick enough to dodge and was sent flying upwards. 'Forty seconds left.' Shikamaru thought. 'Make that twenty five.' He smirked, "Shadow Ogre's Shadow Envelopment! Pillar Formation!" Shikamaru shouted, the shadows in the arena all came into one spot in front of Shikamaru, he pushed his hand upwards. The shadow formed into a giant pillar that smashed into Arthur on his way down, pushing him back up to the ceiling. "Disperse" The shadows all made their way back to their owners.

"Pretty good Shikamaru." Arthur smiled, his armor was shattered, leaving him in just his blue gi. "But I'm not done yet." Arthur ran at Shikamaru, "A knight never surrenders!" The blond shouted, making a blade of wind on his right hand and a blade of fire on his left, "Flaming Vortex Greatsword!" He shouted, smashing the blades together and actually making a sword of just chakra, it was partially green and partially orange and he held it in two hands. "This is my strongest technique." Arthur said, "So let's see how it fairs against your strongest." The blond continued his charge, his blade meeting the ogre's arm, slicing partially into it.