Ch//6 CellPhone

"Mom.."

I lifted my phone slowly towards my ear, shaking as I answered the call.

"M-mom..I, is that you?..." I managed to croak out.

My throat was already scratchy, scared of what the person on the other end would say. "Hi, I found this phone and wanted to know who it belonged to. I saw that your name was the last she called, and thought I'd give it a shot. Kenzie, right?"

Got it. Not, my mom.

If only...

"Yeah, that's me. Um..the phone your using belonged to my mother"

"Oh! Makes more sense as to why you called me mom"

She sounded like a woman in her mid 30's. I feel like I've heard her voice somewhere, I just can't make it out. "Well, should we meet up somewhere? I would hate for your mother to not have her phone with her"

Not that she would really care anyways.

"Yeah, sure. I'm at Black Top right now. Do you know where that is?"

"Sure do! I used to take my kids to the park near there"

"Great!"

"Okay. I'm on my way. I'm driving a black Prius"

I nodded my head as if she could see me. "See you then" I brung the phone away from my ear and ended the call.

What if...just what if, that was my mother. Instead of some random lady I didn't know.

A tap on my shoulder caused me to turn around. "Hey, is everything okay?"

Definitely not. Some random person just found my mother's phone-god knows where, and is on her way to give it to me. Probably thinking my mother would be so relieved to have her phone back, but no. Because she's dead.

"Uh, Yeah. I'll tell you later" Brynn nodded her head and walked us back to the seats.

But wait..that woman said she called me last. I don't remember getting a call from her.

We got to the table and I sat in the middle of Brynn and Johnny. Of course she would do this to me. With Hayden across from me, and Annie and Carson next to him.

Not even a full week back, and all this already happened...maybe I am really cursed.

———

We were laughing our heads off, just like old times. Carson made some really stupid joke, and we all lost it. I just don't get us.

In the corner of my eye, I had seen the black Prius through the glass window.

I quickly stood up and scooted out the way of the booth. "Be right back guys, gotta take care of something" they nodded as I walked out the door, smiling; to ensure that everything was okay.

I walked slowly towards the car; hoping it was the right one, squinting my eyes due to the sun.

I saw a hand waving with a phone in it. Assuming that was the woman, I walked over to her.

"You're Kenzie?" I nodded my head to her question. "Yes, I'm Kenzie" she smiled genuinely and handed me the phone.

I took it carefully, being sure not to drop it. She was smiling once I looked back up at her.

Then it hit me.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your name miss?"

"Oh! Of course. Sorry, that was so rude of me not to introduce myself sooner. I'm Bryn"

Bryn Turner?! She's Nadia's mother?! But she's so pretty, and Nadia is so...

Nadia.

"I also, have another question if you don't mind" she shook her hand. "No, not at all"

I cleared my throat as I began to speak. "Where did you find the phone?"

"Oh! Just under the water front pier. I like to take walks down there, close by the water. It's so..peaceful"

She looked towards the sun, as if it wasn't burning her eyes. "Yeah, um..well thank you for returning the phone"

"No problem. If it were me, I would want my phone back. Wouldn't want a great deal of money going to waist" she smiled and turned around, opening her car door and driving away.

Except; my mother isn't getting her phone.

Ever.