Ch//7 Secrets

"Earth to Kenzie, hello!!" Brynn furiously waved her hand in my face, trying to snap me out of my thoughts.

How did my mom's phone get to the water front? Was she going to meet someone? Maybe she accidentally dropped it without noticing. It has to be that, I refuse to let my mind think otherwise.

"Kenzie!!" I finally looked over at Brynn, instead of my bedroom window. "What, Brynn" I said as nicely as I could, already aggravated at the fact that my mom might have been kidnapped.

Yes, I know; it's a stretch. But come on, what else could it be. I've already done process of elimination, and nobody just sets their phone down on the floor and walks away from it.

"You've been holding that phone ever since the meet up. Why won't you speak to me about it?! Or anyone, for that matter"

I looked down at the phone, holding it closer to me. The reality is just too dreadful.

"Kenzie..please" she grabbed my hand, the other one that wasn't holding the phone.

"Talk to me"

I set the phone down beside me and looked at her. "It was my mother's" Brynn's eyes went soft, already filling with tears. "It um..it was found, under the pier"

I swallowed, trying to speak once more. "I don't know..if she dropped it, or..."

"You can tell me Kenz"

"I think my mom was kidnapped, before she...before she died" Brynn's emotion was gone. Her hand left mine, and she just stared out my window.

I kept looking at her, trying to find anything to go off of; but she was just blank..nothing. At all.

"Brynn?" This time I waved my hand in front of her face. "Are you okay?"

"There's um-there's...something I've got to tell you.." she said softly. Guilt filling her eyes; but she stayed looking at the window.

And maybe that was best; for what happened next.

"I know why your mom was down there..." she started off. My eyes already bulging out their sockets.

"It was to meet Johnny. He told me..he told me he wanted to do something for you. Long story short, I had told him to meet with your mom. How difficult that was. But when she finally answered, she told me where she was and Johnny went to talk to her. What they talked about? You're gonna have to ask Johnny. He only told me that he left after he was done"

She didn't even look at me. Not once. Was there something she was hiding? Guess we'll never know. The fact that she knew where my mom was and didn't find the need to tell me, is just...

Disappointing. She's supposed to be my best friend.

"What, did he do..exactly?" I asked sincerely. Anything else she told me can't possibly get worse.

I can't believe they were hiding this from me!

"I..I don't know. You have to ask Johnny" she stood up from my bed. "It's getting late, I'm gonna head home"

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

She walked straight out the door, still didn't even look at me.

Now I'm afraid to ask Johnny. I don't even want to! I'm trying to avoid him. Brynn just keeps making things harder.

But, if I want the rest of the story; I have to ask. My curious mind proceeds me.