Ch//23 Let Her Go

"We are here today to pay our tribute and our respect...to a pillar of our community. Our sister, our protector...Sheriff Ashlee Allen. We are also here today to show our love and support, to Ashlee's family and friends. Not only have we sensed our own personal feelings of loss...over her passing..let our hearts be drawn together as we all stand"

The police officers in the chapel stand, as I take Brynn's hand. They walk to her casket and place down the American flag. One of the police officers radio in dispatch.

"Calling Ashlee Allen...This is the last call for Ashlee Allen.." Brynn's grip on my hand gets tighter as she starts tearing up.

"No response. Radio number two six is out of service...after twelve years and four months of police service. Gone, but never forgotten"

"Center" The police officers turn in a circle, then all walk down in an orderly fashion. Ashlee's best friend Damon, goes up to speak.

"Ashlee Allen was my friend. In her last moments, she asked me to pass along a message to her daughter. But I cut her off before she could say too much. Told her she could tell Brynn herself. But she didn't get that chance. Your mom wanted you to know how proud of you she was. And she should be. You're a beautiful, strong woman...a generous friend..and a bright light, in a sea of dark. She said you were extraordinary. And you are. And so was she. Ashlee was a hero to this town. She was a hero to all of you. And she was a hero to me. Goodbye, Sheriff. You will be missed"

Brynn smiles and gets up. She walked to the front of the room.

"Thank you all for coming. This, is for my mom"

🎶Go in peace, go in kindness. Go in love, go in faith. Leave the day, day behind us. The day is done, go in grace. Let us go! Into the dark! Not afraid! Not, alone. Let us move, like some good pleasure. Safely to, right at home.🎶

~~~

"Hey, are you leaving?"

"Yeah. I think I've done the whole funeral thing enough for one day"

"Okay, let me walk you home"

"No, there's no need. It's only two blocks"

"I know, I just don't think you should be alone right now"

"That's exactly what I need" Brynn hugged me. "Thank you, for everything today Kenz. I'll never forget it"

"You're welcome" I said, hugging her back. "But—"

"I'll be fine Kenzie. Okay? I just had to get through today" we pulled away from the hug. "W-Why?"

"Today is going to be the worst day of my life"

"Today isn't the worst day of your life. Today and tomorrow, it's a cake walk. There'll be people around you day in and day out, like their afraid to leave you alone. The worst day? That's next week. When there nothing but quiet..."

"Why do I have to let her go?"