Ch//14 Hope. Is All I Have Left

"Hey, you guys mind if I stop at my house real quick? I have to check on my mom"

"Yeah, it's fine" Hayden answered. Her mom? Brynn never told me anything about her mom.

Great. More secrets.

As we came to a stop, Brynn unbuckled her seat belt. "You guys can come in if you want. It might take a while"

We all got out the car and followed Brynn inside.

Hayden and Isaak made their way over to her living room and I followed her upstairs. "Brynn" I said softly, seeing her mother sleeping in her bed. "Yeah?" Brynn answered, picking up some left over food from her mother's nightstand.

"You didn't say anything about your mother" she carried the tray outside her room and closed the door. "It's not a big deal Kenz"

"Not a big deal?! It looks like your waiting on your mother hand and foot" Brynn sighed. "Fine. That is what I'm doing"

"Okay..why?" She set the tray down on the counter in the bathroom, right next to her mother's room.

"My mom..is sick"

"Wh-How..sick?" Brynn licked her lips and leaned her head against the wall. "She has stage two brain cancer. The doctors think that they can help her"

All she was telling me was super overwhelming. I can't believe she hasn't told me sooner. I feel so bad for not being there for her.

"How..could you not tell me?! I could have helped you Bry"

"No. You couldn't. Your mom had just died, I couldn't put this on you" I put my hands on her shoulder.

"Thank you, for being considerate Bry. But you're my best friend, okay. Your pain, is my pain" tears formed in her eyes.

"Oh no..Brynn" I pulled her closer to me into a hug.

After Brynn stopped lightly crying we broke away. "Do..you believe them? The doctors?" She nodded her head slowly. "Yeah..I mean, it's all I really have to hold onto. Hope. That she'll make it through"

I wiped her tears away and grabbed the tray off the counter. "Come on, we should get her some more..." I looked down at the food, not knowing what it was. "Oatmeal. My mom likes oatmeal"

I smiled and walked downstairs with her.

Hayden and Isaak saw as she and I came downstairs. "What's wrong?" Judging by the tears they saw on Brynn's face, they were confused.

"Oh, she's fine. We just had a talk about her mom" Hayden nodded and got up. "You guys gonna be much longer?"

"Uh, no. I'll just go take this up to my mom and be back down. You guys can go wait for me in the car. I'll only be a second" Brynn assured us, and the three of us walked to the door.

As I opened the door, there stood Johnny. Confusion ran over my face.

He looked down, then back up at me. "I..uh..came to see Brynn" I just stood there, in shock. Not knowing what to do.

"Yeah John, she's upstairs. With her mom" Hayden answered. He put his hand on my shoulder and motioned me outside, Isaak following the both of us.

I got in the back of the car as before and stared out the window, watching him walk inside and close the door.

I wish I knew why he was there. But there was no way I was asking.

I hate secrets.