Chapter 49 - Hopelessly in Love

11 days later

Christina hauls Lauren's hospital bag over her shoulder just as Lauren emerges from the bathroom in fresh clothes. Lauren breathes out a sigh.

"Finally!" she exclaimed, "out of that dang hospital gown and even better, out of this dang hospital too." 

"Yeah except for having to return every couple weeks. You're still an outpatient here Laur." Christina reminded her, leaning one hand on the wheelchair sat in front of her.

"Yeah yeah whatever," Lauren rolled her eyes and then grinned. Christina smiled at her sister's momentary happiness. It normally didn't last long. Christina could see straight through Lauren's façade, no matter how hard Lauren tried to hide her pain. She was certain her other sister's and Kyle could see through it aswell.

Lauren skipped to the door.

"Well are you coming?" Lauren spoke, pulling Christina out of her trance. Christina smiled.

"Lauren you know you have to take it easy, that means no jumping around. The doctor said to stay off your feet, it's only been like 10 days since your surgery, so get in this wheelchair young lady." demanded Christina. Another roll of the eyes came from the 20 year old girl as she unwillingly slumped into the wheelchair and allowed her older sister to push her out of the hospital doors. 

She closed her eyes and breathed in the slightly chilly February air, the light rain against her skin felt almost comforting and freeing in a way she couldn't describe. 

Lisa and Dani awaited in the car on the far side of the hospital car park, eagerly anticipating for their sister to finally join them back at home. Dani was scrolling through her phone whilst Lisa stared out of the window. Light rain began to patter at it. The rain took her back to that night. How she was pushed down those stairs. How her leg snapped in half. How she broke once she saw Lauren's state. How she and Lauren were practically dragged out of the basement and into that cold and rainy night. 

"Hey look there's Lauren!" Dani exclaimed, shaking Lisa's shoulders from the where she sat behind her in the backseat. Lisa flinched a little and looked up to indeed see a moody Lauren in a hospital wheelchair, Christina pushing her from behind.

"Sorry," Dani said, quickly realising she had startled her sister, "I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?" Lisa smiled a genuine smile. 

"Yeah, I will be and Lauren too," She paused, "The rain just took me back to that night." Dani gave her a sympathetic smile.

The car's backdoor opened. Dani leaned over and took the bags from Christina and then helped her shuffle Lauren into the car. 

"I don't need to be in that dang wheelchair." Lauren muttered, annoyed.

"Never mind that, Lauren you're going home!" Dani squealed, excitedly.

"Dani I know!" Lauren also squealed, mocking the younger. Lisa and Christina chuckled at the two.

"Let's head home then." Christina muttered, starting up the car.

///////////////

Katherine and Alex had just finished putting up the welcome home banners just as Christina pulled up her car at the end of the street. Amy was first to notice as she was peering through the curtains waiting for them. She squealed in excitement, she loved surprises.

"They're here!" Amy yelled, "Everyone get in your positions." Joey turned out the lights and hid behind the sofa with Christian and Nick. The whole family had finally made it home to be together again. For Lauren.