Part 44

The water shines only by the sun. And it is you who are my sun.
– Charles de Leusse

Maina's POV

Having an extended family could be a blessing to you. Just within 4 days all the preparations were made and by now news have already reached Farha's family. A man is interested in thier daughter and would like to marry her.

"Kuyi sauri kada muyi latti (lets hurry up we will be late)" Uncle yelled outside. Few elders of my family including my Aunties gathered around to have a prayer before we left.

"Ka kwantar da hankalinka(Ease your heart), Everything will be fine." Granny reassured me patting my back gently. "Allah ya taimaka(May Allah help you)"she waved at us as our cars left the compound.

After a 20 minutes drive, we arrived at Alhaji Muhammed Rano's residence. A beautiful bungalow house with a flowered fence painted yellow and black. I swallowed a big saliva through my stiff neck. My heart felt very heavy and nervous.

Soon we were seated and exchanging greating with my soon to be in-laws in the living room. Farha's graduation picture was enlarged in a beautiful frame and hanged on the well groomed wall. I looked at it and smiled, she looked very young and beautiful.

Farha's family introduced themselves one by one to us. I saw her younger brother who studies at Bayero University Kano. He looked very much like her but he was very dark skinned.

After presenting the gift and other necessary items, Farha's mum, Hajiya Fatima hugged Aunt Laila to everyones suprise. They were both exchanging hugs, smooches and crying. Everyone was confused.

"You guys know each other?" Alhaji Muhammed Rano asked amazed.

"Yes, we knew each other a long time ago." Farha's mum said sobbing.

I looked at them frightened. "She is an old family friend."

Everyone exclaimed. What a coincidence! "Does that mean she knows my mum?" I whispered.

"Yes, she knows Edna. We were all good friends." Aunt Laila said.

"Masha Allah." Everyone exclaimed.

"What a coincidence!." My uncle said.

The conversation between my family and Farha's family was going well but what about that stubborn girl? Who knows what she is going to say or do about?. I couldn't stop bothering. It was so obvious that my uncle decided to talk.

"Alhaji, your daughter as you already know is our son's friend back at school and she is giving him a hard time." My uncle stated.

"Ahaaahaha." Her dad laughed. "Really?"

"Let's hear from the girl first maybe in a few days we will come back." My Aunties suggested. Shit! No! I wanna leave here with an answer. I have put alot of efforts trying to make this perfect.

"No." Farha's mum helped my life. "Don't worry. She is going to accept. There's no need to postpone anything, i will call her right now." She said and i felt like hugging her. Hahhh! She smiled at me and winked. Ohhh she knew what i was thinking.

She dialed Farha's number and put it on hands-free. God! What if she destroys everything. She can be very crazy sometimes. Help me! I prayed quietly.

"Hello, Mum. What's up?" She asked happily.

"Am fine, My dear. Guess what?"

"What Mama?" She asked curiously.

"A family is here to ask for your hand in marriage. Har sun kawo "nagani inaso(They've already brought gifts.)"You need to see thier son. He is very handsome."

"Haba Mama!(Come on, Mum.)" she yelled.

"What now?!"

"How could you even allow them? You should have told them am not interested. Mum you already know what my heart wants." She lamented bitterly. My heart was beating fast. This is not going well.

"Wait. You don't even know who they are?" Her mum laughed.

"Okay. Fine. You know am not interested but i will ask. Who are they?" She asked reluctantly.

"Guess!" Her mum teased her. Come on, Mummy. This is a very serious matter. I though silently.

"Mummy just tell me now. I can't guess, you know I don't have anyone i think could do that."

"It's Maina." Her mum said firmly.

"What the! Wait. Mum you're kidding me right?" She asked hoarsely.

"Yes i am."

"Ahhhhhhh, Oh My God!" She yelled. And everyone busted into a happy laugh.

"Yes, your Maina."

"Oh I can't believe this. OH MY GOD!"

"What should i tell them?" She asked.

"Yes, Mummy! What were you trying to tell them. Ofcourse yes! Yes! Mummy. I will Marry him."

Everyone started laughing. Pheeeeewwww! I heaved a long sigh. Oh My God! I felt like the whole world was at my favor. Happiness! Joy! I've never felt this way before in my entire life.
Are my ears deceiving me or did she really say yes? Oh My! "She said yes! Aunt Laila. She said yes!" I felt tears in my eyes. I couldn't hold my hands well.

"Oh yes she did." She said. "Congratulations, my son." My Uncle said.

"So, my daughter said yes." Her mum smiled.

"They must have a special connection." Her dad said.

"Since both our children are not here, what if we give out the kayan lefe now and continue the remaining preparations later?" Aunt Laila suggested. Everyone looked at one another and nodded in agreement.

"Is the kayan lefe here already?" Her Dad asked.

"Oh yes. We came here all prepared." Aunt barakah grinning. She made a call and all the 12 beautiful designer boxes which were Farha's favorite. Her cousins were around and helped with the process too. Masha Allah. Masha Allah   
Was all they were saying. I swear to God, it like a dream. Is this real?

We were given the best hospitality regarding the fact we were old family friends. We left after having the Asr prayer. I couldn't wait to go back home to Granny. I wanted to shout at the top of my voice and Say Alhamdulilah.

"Oyoyo." Granny hugged me tightly with tears in her eyes. I wanted to talk but the shut me up with her hands. "Don't worry. You don't have to say anything. Farha will be yours, Insha Allah."

"You need to see his face, granny. He was so scared." Aunt Laila said.

"Mummy is Uncle Maina getting married to Aunt Farha?" Fouad asked.

"Yes, they are going to get Married by God's grace." She kissed his forehead.

All my friends called and congratulated me gracefully. I was so happy. When i was coming back to Nigeria, i never thought any of this will eventually happen.

Should i call Farha? I was suddenly shy. Why? How am I supposed to talk to her? Come on, this wasn't like me. I should call Maryam. They might be together right now since it was already late.

I dialed Maryam's number and it began to ring....

Support me as a writer❤️❤️