chapter 18

I was with my mom in the kitchen. She was cooking stew and I was helping her peel the onions and my eyes were as red as that of someone who smoked ten wraps of igbo.

When I was done, I gave them to her and she added it to the tomatoes and pepper that was about to be grounded with a blender.

When she was done with blending the tomatoes, pepper, and onions, she took out a pot and poured groundnut oil inside after rinsing it.

She fried the fish and chicken, added sliced onions, then poured the blended juice(🤷) inside the pot. She also added Maggi, curry and salt to it.

   We had a nice meal of rice and stew and I went to my room to iron my school uniform that was now dry, and polish my school shoe for tomorrow because I have to look smart all the time and since I had the strength to do it, let me just do it. 

    I plugged in the iron and when it was hot enough, I started to iron the fine long sleeve that only seniors could wear.  I had always wanted to wear long sleeve that I can fold with swag whenever I am about to do something in class and also to wear a long tie. After ironing, I hanged my uniform on the door of my wardrobe and jumped on my bed.

I took out my phone and typed Ada's number wondering if I should call her sef.

I called her and she picked the call when I was about to hang up.

  "hello? She said. 

"hey Ada right? I asked wanting to make sure Wilson gave me the right number.

"yes who's this? She asked like she had something important to do.

"it's me Etin" I replied.

"Etin from where? She asked.    

How many Etin does this girl know that she is asking me from where?

"it's me your classmate at St Mary's" I replied.

"oh how did you get my number? She asked.

"Wilson gave it to me" I replied honestly because there was no need to lie sef abi she dey chop bottle.

"what do you want?  She asked.

If I could slap her through the phone I swear I would have given her a hot slap. 'what do you want? ' seriously?

"just wanted to ask a question" I replied deciding to just ignore what she just said.

"ask o, I don't have all day" she said.

Ye! I Don suffer ooo; it's not her fault sha. Na me wey nor get work wey call her. 

"any who, you and Wilson; are you guys dating? I asked.

"and what has that got to do with you? She asked again.  

This girl was annoying me small small.

"nothing o, it's just that he told me he was dating someone and I just wanted to know if it was you because he called a name; it was an English name sha o" I said lying smoothly.

"which name did he call? She asked.

So now she was interested abi? She go hear am today.

" don't worry about it sef, it's not my business" I replied. 

"no no please tell me na I want to know" she said.

"Shey you said it was not my business na? I answered.