[I Love You] Liam de Lioncourt

-          Liam thought a standard confession of love was too cliché, so he tried executing his love confession in the most hipster way possible.

-          He made you a mixtape, but he didn't realize he was one of the last monsters alive to own a tape player, so you had to listen to it with him.

-          Liam didn't expect to be in the same room when you were listening to it, so he got flustered.

-          He was pretty adorable about it; love is the one cliché he can't escape.

-

"I made you something," Liam started, handing _______ a tape. He looked proud of himself, smirking as they took it from him. "It contains the greatest songs from my favorite indie bands, but the titles were too long to fit on a track list, so you'll just have to live with the mystery of not knowing who's singing."

Liam does know I can just Google the song lyrics, right? ­­­­______ thought but decided against pointing it out to him. Instead they gave him a gentle smile. "Do you think I can listen to it at your place today?"

Liam's eyes went wide, and his cheeks tinted color. "I, uh, don't see why. Can't you listen to it at home?"

"I don't have a tape player, Liam. I don't even know where I would get one. Plus, if these really are your favorite songs, wouldn't you want to listen to them with me?" ______ asked, shocked by Liam's rejection. He was usually ecstatic to listen to music with them, whenever they hung out, there was usually a jam session involved to one of Liam's home-made CDs. I don't know why he'd use a tape now of all times.

Liam seemed to struggle with a response. "Alright, we can listen to it tonight when you come over. You still wanted to come over and study, right?"

Liam and ______'s 'study' sessions didn't usually go too well. That was partly ______'s fault, after inventing a game to study with, ______ and Liam were always distracted. The game was simple: for every answer either _______ or Liam got right, they got a kiss. The more current answers in a row, the more they would add. It didn't take much for a few kisses to turn into a full, passionate make-out session. ______ didn't complain. "If that's okay with you."

Liam pushed up his glasses and smiled smugly. "Of course it is. I'll see you tonight."

______ suspected that they weren't going to get much studying done on a Friday night, and they were right to assume so. ______ played the tape while they did homework, and it didn't take long before Liam got pulled into the music, gave out a few too many kisses, and ended up making out with ______. The music was providing a perfect background, and Liam almost forgot the surprise he added to the end of the tape.

Almost.

After the last song on Side B started to fade out, a home-made recording started, and Liam's voice filled the room. Liam stopped kissing ______ at the sudden realization that they reached the end of the tape, and ______ looked confused at first. "This is you?" she whispered to Liam while listening to the tape talk. Liam was completely flustered, too red to respond, just nodding.

"______, there's something I want to tell you, but I didn't want to give into a cliché of telling you with flowers, over dinner, or over some casual date. I needed to tell you in a way that stuck out, in a way that you'd remember, in my own way. So, I decided to make you a tape. This is the first time I've recorded myself, so I hope you can hear the sincerity in my voice when I tell you... I love you. Love is the ultimate cliché that I had been avoiding, but when I'm around you, I don't even care about being cool. I just want to be myself, and you've allowed me to do that. Thank you, ______, for being the most amazing monster I've ever met. I love you, more than anything."

The tape ended, and ______ just looked over at Liam. "Is that why you wanted me to listen to it on my own?" they asked.

"Surprise?" Liam asked, a hopeful smile on his face. ______ had never seen him look so vulnerable, he was never one to wear his heart on his sleeve, but he took a chance. He took a chance just to tell them that he loved them.

______ leaned over, kissing him again. "I love you too, Liam de Lioncourt. So damn much, and you better believe I'm going to keep this tape for the rest of my life."

Liam would've said something back, but their kiss intoxicated him, and he was too busy wanting more to say anything witty back. "I love you," he muttered, pulling them close to him and kissing them over and over again.