7

C H A P T E R  7
'Heirs'

C H A P T E R  7'Heirs'

M E I

The movies, shopping, hanging out, eating a restaurant... Sei-niisan and I did it all. But I know him since I was born. I knew that something was bothering him ever since he picked me up from the station. How troubled look when he thinks that I'm not looking, his constant drifting away and getting lost in his own deep thoughts...

I knew something was bothering. And that something has something to do with me. But now, as we sit in his apartment's living room, with Hekima serving us tea... I know that he's about to say what the hell's wrong.

And he did.

"I thought about how to break the news to you as nicely as possible. But I didn't think of one, for I was always a blunt person. I shall say this bluntly as well." I didn't like the serious expression on his face. It was too serious for my own liking. "A meeting was held in the Akashi Coorp, regarding the successor of your father."

Tenma was chosen? That's perfect! I'll be able to-

"You were chosen, Mei."

.

..

... What?

"But why?" I jump up from my place in anger. He was the more easy-going one. Only recently I broke out of my shell and started communicating more and making friends. I'm not like our father! I can't travel around the world, meeting new people and telling them to do something they don't want to. I-I...

"Your brother called saying that he refuses to become a heir. He also cursed at our whole family, calling us monsters. He said that he wants to cut all ties with our family. But your position was chosen regardless him saying that. You were the chosen one since we were brats." Now, I was even more shocked. Angry, sad, betrayed...

It didn't sound like Tenma-nii at all.

But then again...

"Stop being so childish, Mei! Volleyball is just for fun while you're a kid! There's no possible way to continue on playing after we graduate to become pros, when we're basic!"

"When did he say that?"

He looks at me, surprised. "You didn't know? I thought you talk with him?" It was Hekima that asked, that was as susprised as Sei.

I shake my head. "We do.. Time from time. But not as frequently as we used to. The tension is still there and we still hold on to that anger. Our talks are strained and filled with fakeness." I explain and bite my inner cheek, to stop myself from starting to cry. "H-He never said anything about hating o-our family... I'm just so...confused."