twenty-seven

baekhyun and chanyeol's mother barely talked when they drove to the hospital. there was a lot of traffic jam because hundreds of people were coming home from work at this time.
baekhyun sighed in relief when mrs. park found a place to leave the car at.

they both got out of the vehicle and walked a few hundred meters until the huge hospital appeared in front of them. the brown haired boy wanted to go in and make sure that chanyeol was alright so badly.

but he was also nervous.

his heart was beating faster than usual and his hands were sweaty.
he wiped the sweat off using his pants and tried to stay focused.

mrs. park opened the front door and held it open for baekhyun who followed her quickly before stealing a glance at the clock above the reception desk on the other side of the room.

6:23.

chanyeol's mother walked up to the reception desk and greeted the woman sitting there.

"good evening, my name is mrs. park. my son, park chanyeol, has been brought here a few hours ago and we came to see him."

the woman nodded and the sound of her typing in chanyeol's name on the keyboard was audible.

"yeah, that's him. he's currently in the intense care unit because he's in induced coma. we actually don't want visitors for intense care patients to be honest because their health is at a high risk anyway so we need to prevent any negative influences. moreover, it's past our visiting hours..."

chanyeol's mother took a deep breath.

"I know and I totally understand and accept that. but..."

she leaned in and whispered something baekhyun was almost not able to hear.

"my son is... a little special."

she pointed at the screen with her son's details on it.

"and today is his special day, so he really needs the boy I'm with to get better."

the woman blinked a fee times until she seemed to understand.

"oh, I'm pretty sure we can make your visit possible then. let me inform the doctor. just a second, please."

she dialled a number and waited for the doctor to pick up.

"hello, doctor song. I have a special guest for park chanyeol in the intense care unit. is it possible for him to visit the patient?"

they quietly discussed for about a minute until the woman finally hung up.
it had felt like ages to baekhyun.

"you can visit him. if it's necessary, the boy can stay here overnight. you can simply follow the signs to the ICU and tell doctor song who you are. he'll help you then."

chanyeol's mother thanked her several times but the woman waved it off and winked.

"my daughter is also... a little special."

baekhyun felt like he was playing a game but nobody had told him the rules before.

why did everyone seem to know what was going on but he didn't?

he really hoped to find out soon what this was supposed to mean.

anyways.

he and chanyeol's mother followed the signs with ICU, Intense Care Unit written on them and arrived in front of a huge glass door a few minutes later. there was a sticker on it, ICU, please ring the bell to be let in.

baekhyun pressed the button on the right side of the door.
a buzzing sound was heard and the glass door swung open.

mrs. park and baekhyun walked down a narrow corridor and the brown haired boy tried not to stare inside the patients' rooms since they and the corridor were separated by a wall with big windows.
he felt uncomfortable because of the blinking machines, the IVs and all that medical creepy stuff.