Chapter 39 - Stepping Stone

I know that this chapter name is different compared to the way i named remaining chapters. But what say i really liked it and felt like it suits...

And also BTW you might have observed that i didn't name a few chapters. If you could find an apt name based on the story described in those chapters, you are welcome to suggest it. Please suggest your name in the comments box.

And also please vote the chapters you like and comment to express your views. It would be encouraging for us to correct and improve ourselves and write more stories.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ahana's POV:

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I have called them Ahana" said Dev.

"What? Why?"

"Because you need to clear the things" he said. I started protesting but he stopped me. "Listen, the last time in the hospital you were emotional. I am sure that is what you want to say if things could have gone in a different way"

His words made sense. I would have wanted to talk through the things, the past if what happened didn't happen.

"But you should have told me before calling them" I said to him.

"And risk you being in an emotional mess again? We both know how you will react if you had known earlier. The situation has to be as shocking as it was when you got to know the truth"

"Gee thanks" I said. But I know what he said is true. I would have rehearsed on what to speak, how to react and that would not have been the actual way I wanted to do. Deb squeezed my shoulders and I was left with my so- called parents to speak. I stayed silent not understanding how to put my thoughts into words.

"I am sorry Ahana" mom spoke first. After all this time, I cant help but address as her as mom.

"I was really happy to see you beside me when I woke up after accident. But after I got to know the truth, it was like I was splashed with a bucket of cold water. I felt deceived. I was..." she controlled the sob that escaped her mouth and continued, " I felt at loss knowing that my child died. And the one whom I am raising is not my child. The loss of my child blinded the love I had for you"

"I always looked for a chance to hurt you. I don't have the lady who is actually responsible for all this. I wanted to vent out my anger, sadness, guilt of not taking care of my baby. I wanted to punish the person responsible for all this. I vented it out at you, a small girl"

"I know I did a grave mistake and no words will make the pain you went through any less. They say compared to birth mother, the one who rose is great. But I proved that it is not true at all times" she sobbed.

"Ahana, we are not asking you to forgive us. But do not let our mistakes impact you. We want you to lead a happy life" he said. I stayed silent for sometime.

"I really don't know what to say. I am hurt by the way I was treated. The truth of my birth is shocking to me. But I am grateful for you for not abandoning me. But the fact that you were so angry at me to the extent of trying to kill me is devastating" I said out my thoughts.

"There are no words to explain my action. If I was angry initially, I was responsible to extend it and make it more than. In fact, I didn't know I had pent up that much anger in me. In fact, it was eating me alive inside and I didn't realise that. It doesn't make it correct to say that after all we are humans. But it is the fact too. I know it is hard for you to forget all this and forgive me. But if you could I would be grateful. If you couldn't then also, I can understand. I will happy if I didn't stop you from going to your happiness"

I nodded understanding her words.

"You can't expect me to forgive you right away with a few words" I said

"We understand" they said. I can clearly see that they are sad but this conversation was much needed and I am happy to have this.

"Even we have to apologize for trying to cheat you and take Ahana with us after marriage" said aunty joining us along with uncle and Dev.

"Frankly, I was angry at the way she was treated. But Ahana wants to have your blessings and since you couldn't accept for who we are, we had to do it this way" explained Dev.

"We understand and we are sorry for the way we spoke with you. I want to apologize once again for harming you" mom said.

"Ahana, in case, if you want speak with your biological mother" mom said and gave me a sheet of paper with phone number and name on it.

"I was never in touch with her. But I got the name from the hospital records and this is her old number" dad said. They left after sometime. At the end whether I forgave them or not, it always feels better to talk things out.