Chapter 35 - Wedding Part 2 - The Truth

Ahana's POV:

After changing into the white saree, which has aspecial meaning to us, Dev and me started resumed the Puja. Dev is lookinghandsome in the south Indian wedding dress.

 Dev is lookinghandsome in the south Indian wedding dress

We have a curtain between us to not see each other. We have a tradition to keep Jeelakarra Bellam(a paste made of Jeera and Jaggery) on each other's head before taking the curtain off. Wondering how I saw him in his dress? He sent his picture when we are exiting the room. He asked for mine but I didn't send him...Hahhaha.. Poor boy.

"STOP IT!!!" we heard yelling. We looked up and saw mom struggling to free herself from dad. What is happening?

"THIS WEDDING IS NOT GOING TO TAKE PLACE" she yelled. What??? Dev and me stood up.

"Mom... why?" I asked. My heart is beating faster.

"Why? You want to know why?" she yelled at me.

"Sara. Stop it now" dad yelled at her and turned to us, "please continue"

"That is going to happen over my dead body" mom yelled again. But why? What is the reason she is shouting? What happened suddenly? My heart is beating faster than usual, not understanding what to do.

"Why mom? What happened?" I asked trying to sound calm. There are many emotions going through me. This sudden change in the atmosphere is making me dizzy. Tanu came to me and held my hand in support, knowing what might be going through me.

"Because you all are cheaters" she yelled. We are stunned, not able to speak anything.

"Isn't this the family who called me from Pune asking for your hand?" she asked me although it is more like a statement.

"Wah... Till now I thought even though you are useless, you have at least a good thing. Not to deceive others. But I see that I am wrong" she said. She finally freed herself from dad and came to me.

"You are such a brat! Lying to your family for money? How can you do this to us? I may not be nice to you but what about your father, brother and sister?" she yelled on my face. No, she is not going there. Not anymore, not after all she did to me. The old Ahana might curl herself up and cry. But she is not there, not anymore. Now, I have to stand up for myself, for all the people who love and support me.

"What family?" I asked finally mustering up the courage. I looked at father, bro and Charvi and muttered sorry. I turned to the lady whom I call mom. Now I need to face her. At least now or else I can never forgive myself. I looked at Dev. He understood that the time has finally come for some confrontation and for truth. He held my hand and squeezed it, giving me the much-needed assurance. I took a deep breath and faced her one more time.

"What family? You are asking me what family?" she said angrily.

"Yes. I never felt like we are a family. It has been a long time since we acted as one" I said.