Chapter 22

I carried sleeping Scarlett into the car so we could go back home.

I strapped her into her car seat and got back into the drivers seat.

I looked back before I started to drive and just stared at Scarlett. She's just such a beauty. I can't believe she's my daughter. It's unbelievable to know that I created this.

I sighed and started up the truck.

I started to drive...and then started to cry.

I wish I could've been there. I wish I was there. I'm such a jerk. Why did I even do this to Katy...or my daughter? I wanted to help Katy with our baby, and be there for her, and support her. But no, I chose to give up on our relationship. Sure, we're fine now. But really, all of the guilt is piling on top of me. Katy probably already forgot about it, because she always believes in second chances, but I just feel so horrible and cruel.

I wiped away my tears and put my forehead down on the steering wheel after I pulled into the driveway.

I took several deep breaths and unbuckled my seatbelt.

I carried Scarlett inside while she was still sleeping. I locked the car doors and walked into the house.

"Daddy." Scarlett whispered.

"Yes honey?" I replied as I rubber her back.

"I'm sleepy."

"Okay. I'll bring you up to bed."

She put her head down on my shoulder and fell asleep again.

I walked up the stairs and made my way into her bedroom.

I placed her into her bed and pulled the covers over her tiny body.

I walked out of her room and turned the light off, then shut the door.

I then saw Katy standing outside her room.

"Oh hey." I laughed.

"Hey." She whispered.

"Did you uhhh say goodnight to Scarlett?" I asked.

"Nope. But I will." She replied as she scooted by me.

---
When Katy was finished tucking Scarlett in, she just smiled at me.

"I can't believe she's 5." She said as she shrugged her shoulders.

"I know. Time flies."

She came closer to me and pecked me on the lips. She looked at me in the eye and caressed my cheek.

"I love you." She whispered.

"I love you more."

We walked back to our room and cuddled up in bed, going through old pictures again. But something seemed off about Katy. Usually on Scarlett's Birthday, or on any birthday she's full of life, but today she seems so sad.

"Katy?"

"Yeah?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"You seem a little off today. That's all."

"Nope. I'm fine. Just a little tired."

I decided to just drop it, Katy will get pissed if I bother her more.

I haven't been feeling well lately. My throat has been awful. I hope I don't have to get the injections again. That was a really bad experience. I was in a lot of pain, I was even in the hospital for a short amount of time, I just hope my condition isn't coming back again. I need to be be here to support my little family.