Chapter 45

I woke up next to Katy sleeping on my chest, with her leg wrapped around my waist. That's kind of odd but I'll ignore it.

The sun was shining brightly in my face, and I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I guess I'll just go back home and freshen up.

I slowly got out of bed. I didn't want her to wake up, because she needs her sleep.

While I was tying my shoes, I heard Katy stretching. Just great. Now she's gonna know I'm leaving.

"John honey? Are you leaving?" She asked as se rubbed her eyes.

Did she just call me honey?

"Uh yeah I was just about to go."

"Why? I thought you were going to stay here with me. You were going to tell me the rest of the story. Remember?"

"Yes Katy I remember. I was just about to go home to get Scarlett and buy some breakfast. But I'll swing by later if you want."

"That would be great. Look, I'm sorry for acting like that in the beginning. It just shocked me a little bit."

"It's okay. Don't stress about that."

"Well I'll let you go."

"Is there anything you want?"

"Yes. Oh my gosh I'm so hungry. I haven't had something to eat in ages!"

"I'll get McDonalds. Is that alright?"

"It's my favorite!"

I smiled and walked out. I hate having her just sit there all day but she probably won't be out for another 2 weeks depending on what the doctor says. I'm just wondering why Katy had brain damage. The doctor explained but I still don't get it.

"Hey Doctor?"

"What can I do for you?"

"Well I was sort of wondering what happened to Katy. It doesn't make any sense."

"Well what happened was when Katy fell, she must've hit her head on something, maybe the ground or something else, and she had a deep cut in her head. We had to stitch it up but she still had brain damage."

It all started to flood back into my mind. Katy must've hit her head while I was fighting with Russell.

"Okay. Thank you. Have a great day!"

I left and went back home to check on Scarlett. I'm not sure if Katy wants to meet her yet. She'll probably be too overwhelmed.

---

I opened the front door and the first thing I saw was my daughter.

"Daddy! Where have you been?!" She screeched as she ran to me.

"I was with Mommy at the hospital."

"Can I go see her?!" She begged.

"I don't know just yet. She's got some issues right now. But it's nothing we can't fix. Now where's Grandma and Grandpa?"

"They're in the living room."

I walked into the living room and saw Keith and Mary talking.

"Hello! I'm home!"

"Hey John! How's Katy?"

"She's actually adjusting very well. I think she'll be home in about 2 weeks. We'll just have to see how she is."

"That's wonderful! We're going to stop by the hospital later to see her when you're done so we could keep Scarlett here. Have fun!" Mary said.

"I was just here to check up on you guys and freshen up. I'll be back later. Thanks again for watching Scarlett. It means a lot!" I said as I ran up the stairs.